♡Forty-Two♡

Shawn

She crosses her arms and walks back into the courthouse. She doesn't believe me. Frankly, I don't believe myself. I can't even protect her when I'm in the same building as her. How am I supposed to protect her at work, when she takes Hope to school, or when I go to work?

"Maya," I say, but when I turn, she's gone. Shoving my hands in my pockets, I walk back into the courthouse. I see them taking Drew out on a stretcher. He's awake and yelling for them to bring Maya to him.

"Hey, how is she?" JJ asks. I shake my head.

"I told her I would protect her." She sighs.

"Hey, you had no idea that this would happen."

"I should have. Drew always strikes when she's alone. He knows when I'm with her he has no chance on his own. I'm not always going to be with her though. She has a job. I have a job. There are times when she's going to be home alone with our kids and... I want him behind bars." She purses her lips.

"I know and we're trying our best but we need you all to testify. If you don't, he gets to go and we can't try him again."

"She's terrified of him. When she's around him she's completely different."

"That's expected," she answers, "He's her abuser. I'd be surprised if she wasn't scared of him."

"Have you seen her, by the way?" She shakes her head. I thank her and walk past Drew. His eyes meet mine.

"Do you see what she did to me!" He shouts. "All because she wants me but I said no."

"You're insane," I mutter. He keeps yelling, I just walk past him and try to find Maya. I peak down a hallway and find her sitting by a window. When I reach her, she doesn't look at me. I sit down next to her. She rests her head on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry," she squeaks. Her voice is weak and raspy.

"Hey, it's okay."

"No, it's not. I shouldn't have blamed this on you. It's not your fault," she whispers.

"It's not your fault either," I assure. She looks up at the high ceilings. I follow her gaze.

"Sometimes, I wonder how different my life would be if I hadn't of met you," her voice is reminiscent. Her hand grabs mine. My eyes scan her face.

"What do you think it would be like?" She purses her lips as she thinks.

"I think Hope and I would still be in the apartment. I'd probably still be working for Drew. I wouldn't be able to pay the bills." She looks at me.

"So, us meeting and you falling head over heels in love with me was for the best?" She laughs.

"Don't push it, Mendes," she pokes, I can hear the smile.

"Well, here we are, sitting on the floor of a courthouse, trying to put your abuser behind bars. You have a good job and you and Hope are in a good home. Hope has a father figure and her mother is in a better place physically and mentally. You're both happier than ever."

"And I have the best support system ever." She smiles.

"Who may that be?" I tease.

"You, the love of my life, the man of my dreams. The person my mother told me would come to save me from the big green dragon. You did. You saved me," she replies. I kiss her forehead again.

"I'm so happy I did because, in return, I was saved by you," I muse. "You came in when I was at my worst. I was fighting for the hell of it and because I wanted to. I stopped fighting because of you. I could be dead in a ditch somewhere if it weren't for you."