♡Twenty-Six♡

Maya

Shawn's arm is wrapped tightly around my waist. His thumb traces circles on to my stomach.

"I love you," he whispers into my ear.

"I love you too." My fingers lace themselves in his.

"Do you want to do anything else today?" he chuckles. Smiling, I roll over and face him. His eyes scan my face. His eyebrows furrow. "You okay?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" His thumb traces my bottom lip.

"You look like you're thinking about something." 

"Just Drew." He sighs.

"Don't think about him. He's not worth it."

"No, I'm thinking about pressing charges. Going to trial." He kisses my forehead.

"You don't have to. They're looking for him."

"I know, I want to hear what he has to say. Maybe if he's up on the stand. He'll try to justify his actions."

"Look, baby girl, I know you want to see the good in everyone but some people just aren't good. Drew is one of those people. He is wicked. As happy as I am that you want to go to trial in general, I don't know if I want you too." I sit up. He follows and places his hand on my back. I shake it off and stand up. Walking over to the dresser, I grab my clothes and one of Shawn's hoodies. "Maya..."

"What? Do you not think I can do it?" I question. Quickly, I throw my hair up into a messy bun. He walks over to me and places his hands on my hips.

"I think you can. He plays dirty, Maya. I don't want you more hurt then you've already been."

"I'm not some fragile piece of China, Shawn."

"I never said that. Do not put words in my mouth." His voice raises slightly.

"Why are you raising your voice?"

"Because you're being irrational, Maya! You won't listen to me and I don't want you more hurt! I don't know how much more pain you can take." He grabs my hands but I pull them out of his grip.

"I want my voice to be heard! I want to let that little girl know that her voice matters! Do you think I give a damn about how hurt I get?"

"Listen-"

"No, Shawn. I'm tired of people walking all over me."

"Maya, listen to me. You're drunk."

"No, I'm not." He grabs my shoulders and forces me to look at him.

"How many drinks did you have earlier?"

"Like two." I push him off of me again. He stumbles back. "I'm going to Haylie's."

"You're not leaving this room."

"You can't make me stay here!" I shout, not processing my words. My feet carry me to the door. Shawn steps in front of me. Anger bubbles inside me.

"You're not leaving while you're drunk." My hands thrust forwards, shoving him. 

"Watch me." He locks his hands around my forearms. I try to get out of his grip but he won't let go. He turns me and pulls me back into his chest. I squirm under his grip. "Let me go!"

"No, Maya," he whispers. I thrash harder. Finally, he let's go. Words leave my lips before I have a chance to think.

"Even Aiden treated me better than this." Then, I open the door and slam it behind me.

♡♡♡

I pull into Haylie's house and stumble up to her door. When I knock, she answers.

"Maya, what's wrong?" she questions, concerned.

"Shawn," is all I say. She moves to the side and allows me in.

"What happened?"

"He was being all controlling and saying I shouldn't go to trial against Drew." She stays quiet. "He was like 'I don't want to see you more hurt than you already are.' Like, I'm not fucking glass. He doesn't have to protect me all the damn time."

"He's being a boyfriend, Maya. It's what they do. What are those marks on your neck from?" she questions with a look in her eyes.

"Him."

"Ah, I see," she jokes. My eyes roll. "Look, you two just got in a small fight. Spend the night here and if you're ready and sober, tomorrow, I'll let you go home."

"I don't want to go back." She hums.

"I don't think you'll be saying that tomorrow," she mumbles. I was too tired to argue. She giggles and stands. When she comes back into the room she has a blanket in her hands. "Get some sleep."

I don't respond. All I do is lay my head down and let sleep take me over.

♡♡♡

When I wake up it's three in the morning. My head is spinning and I still can't think straight. My feet carry me outside. My eyes find my car and my brain tells me I shouldn't drive. So, I walk down a street I've never been down before. Eyes are on me. They aren't the good kind either. I feel around for my phone and can't find it. Of course, I forgot about it.

"Hey, sugar momma," a northern accent calls out. Shaking my head, I continue walking. The eyes don't leave me. "Come here, sweetcheeks."

A hand reaches out and grabs my arm. They push me against the wall.

"I was talking to you," he growls.

"I don't care." He shoves me into the wall harder.

"Don't talk to me like that."

"Get off of me," I groan and try to push him off. He pushes himself onto me more.

"Hey!" someone shouts. "Get off of her!"

The man is pushed off of me and thrown to the ground. The guy hits him several times. More than necessary. I begin walking off.

"Maya!" he calls out. He grabs my arms. When I turn, I see Jake.

"No! Leave me alone!"

"Maya, you're drunk. Let me take you home."

"No!"

"Maya, who's house did you come from. I sure as hell know Shawn doesn't live over here."

"Doesn't matter."

"Let me take you back there. If you don't, I'll take you to Shawn's."

"No, he's being an ass." I slur.

"Let me take you back to where you came from." Rolling my eyes, I give in.

"Okay, I came from Haylie's house." He nods and helps me into his car. Once I'm in, I rest my head against the window and fall back asleep.