♡Seven♡

Maya

"Who was it?" I ask Haylie as she walks into the kitchen. Hope sits in her highchair with a bowl of animal crackers in front of her.

"Shawn. I told him to come to talk to you tomorrow." My lips purse into a thin line. 

"He stood me up. I sat at a table by myself for thirty minutes. I hope he feels like crap," I grit. And I had higher hopes for him, I think to myself.

"He's a jerk."

"There has to a reason though, right?" I question, needing a reason why he stood me up. She shrugs. Hope giggles and a small smile pulls at my lips. "I'm glad you're happy. Drew was mad, wasn't he?"

"A bit. You may have a storm coming when you get back." A scoff passes my lips. What else is there for him to do? Hope smiles as I hoist her up out of the high chair. My lips kiss her forehead softly.

We walk into the living room and I fall on to the couch with Hope. She laughs as I bounce her on my knees.

"What would I do without you?" I ask the small child in my arms. My bundle of hope. Setting her on the ground, she grasps onto the coffee table and hoists herself up. She stomps her foot in the joy of successfully standing.

"She's a beautiful little girl," Haylie comments sitting next to me.

"She really is. I wish she'd start walking and talking but I guess I haven't been home enough to help her." Dread leaks from my voice. A mother should be there for her child not out getting money for letting a man... touch you. "I've been a horrible mother."

"No, you're doing the best you can."

"She's almost eighteen months and hasn't learned to talk or walk."

"That's not your fault. All babies learn differently." Hope gurgles a response making me look at her. She lifts one leg up and attempts to walk over to me, but falls on the way. Her bottom lip pokes out and her blue eyes become glossy.

"Awe, I know you're trying to learn baby." I get down on the floor with her. My back against the couch, I help her stand up again. Slowly, I lead her towards me. She stumbles a couple times before making it into my lap. My hands clap and her small ones duplicate the action.

"Good job, Hope. I knew you could do it!" Haylie cheers. A huge smile spreads across my lips at the joy in Hopes eyes. At least someone's happy. My fingers scrunch against her onesie and giggles erupt from her. Haylie hops onto the ground and pulls her phone out. All I see is a hint of the flash.

"I love you, Hope. More than anything or anyone in the world," I whisper into her ear. Words for only us to hear. Words she will never forget.

♡♡♡

Haylie took the day off to spend time with her brother so I'm alone at work. The bell above the door rings and my gaze adverts up. It's a guy with tan skin, honey brown hair, and bright blue eyes. His jaw is strong, shoulders broad, and muscles pressing against his grey shirt.

He walks over and sits at the bar. He's looking around, taking this hell in. If I hadn't known any better, I'd think it was a normal bar too. Neon signs, dark room, drunk men cat calling the bartenders and waiters. Since everyone else is busy, I walk up to him.

"Hi, how can I help you?" I ask sweetly.

"Hi, can I get a tequila?" he asks politely. His eyes scan my face.

"Yeah, coming right up." When I turn my back to him, I can still feel him staring. As I make his drink I get a cat call from an older man sitting at the bar.