Chapter Thirty-Seven: nOw wE wAiT

Trigger Warning: This chapter discusses a possible school shooting (there's nothing graphic whatsoever since the shooting doesn't actually happen), so, if you're triggered by stuff like that, I'd advise that you don't read this chapter. I'll put a summary of this chapter at the beginning of the next one for those of you who skip this chapter. 

═══━━━─── • ───━━━═══

I sat in my usual seat in Physics, the seat closest to the door, when it happened. Our Physics class has been doing an egg drop inside (my flawless plan of wrapping the egg in an old t-shirt and cotton balls worked perfectly) when we heard the intercom start up. The static was quickly muffled by the thinly-veiled panic in our principal's voice. 

"Attention staff, we are going into shelter-in-place. Please lock your doors and refrain from letting students out of the classroom."

Everyone in the classroom exchanged curiously, but not yet fearful, glances. Our teacher was about to address the announcement when the intercom turned on again, and the principal's fearful voice filled the air.

"Attention staff, we are now in lockdown. Please lock your doors and cover the windows."

The room went deadly silent as if one word spoken would summon whatever caused the lockdown. Our Physics teacher calmly, but quickly, walked to the door and locked it before sliding a desk in front of it. Rather than turning off the lights or remaining silent, he insisted that we finish the egg drop.

"What the fuck is going on?" One of my classmates asked frantically.

"Nobody has told the teachers anything," Coach C explained, "they don't want to cause any panic. When I find something out, I'll let y'all know."

"They're causing panic by not telling us!" Another person argued.

"I'm not disagreeing with you," Coach said, "but there's nothing I can do about it right now."

"So we're just going to sit here and wait to get shot or something?" Someone demanded.

"We don't know what's going on," Coach snapped, "for all we know, there's just a suspicious person in the area. It could be nothing, so, until we're told otherwise, we're going to act like nothing is wrong. Thomas, it's your turn to test your project."

I could hear my classmates whispering around the room, but, since none of my friends were in the same class as me, I just sat there in utter fear. Despite what some people might believe, ignorance is not bliss. The truth might be alarming, but it prepares you for what you're facing; ignorance just gets you killed. I decided I might as well keep my parents updated on what was happening in case, or, hopefully, get some information from them. 

Today 8:45 AM

To Mom and Dad

Chloe: Hey guys, we're in lockdown at school rn everyone's saying that there's an active shooter in the area. I'll keep you updated. 

Today 9:24 AM

To Mom and Dad

Chloe: We still haven't heard anything on this end

Today 9:47 AM

To Mom and Dad

Chloe: We're allowed to keep our phones on, so I can see anything you send me in case you know anything or something