Chapter 23

"I know I can't say anything that'll get you to forgive me."

"..."

"But I now realize what I have to do. Even if you push me away, I will stay right here. I won't repeat my mistake. I promise. I will stay right here...by your side...Like you've always wanted me to do. I'll work until I can get you to see me as a father again."

M/n simply listened. He was caught in his father's grip.

"I will...I promise I will..."

After a while, he let go of M/n, seeing as he had calmed down. M/n, who hadn't met his father's gaze, tilted his head up to look at him. His father's heart squeezed as he saw the last of his tears trailing slowly down his cheeks.

"I never got a chance to tell you how much you look like your mother..."

He smiled at him. "After all these years...I'm sorry...For all the errors I committed...You were just a kid..."

"..."

"I never got to answer your question. I'm here because F/n called me. She told me you had a tournament today. I figured today was the day I'd finally go up to you and say something."

M/n turned his gaze away. "It's good."

He turned back at those words. His father gave him a smile that showed how proud of him he was. "Your mother always wanted you to chase after what you loved. I'm proud to know...that soon, everyone around the world will know who you are."

"Yeah..."

"I know you can do this, M/n..."

--

"The men's 200-meter butterfly will be beginning shortly. Swimmers, make your way to the diving boards at this time."

"I believe in you. I know you can do it. If your mother believed you could do great things, then I believe you can too."

M/n's gaze lingered on the surface of the pool. He took off his jacket and placed it in the bin behind him.

"M/n!!!", Nagisa shouted from the stands.

He looked at the older male with worry. Makoto placed his hand on his shoulder. "He'll be okay..."

Anxiety and fear took over M/n's senses as he put on his cap and goggles. His surroundings were orange because of the goggles, and somewhere in his mind, remembrance of a scarring experience began to give rise.

The sound of the cheering crowd faded into the background and the sound of his heartbeat accelerating grew louder, ringing in his ears, almost as if that was the only sound in existence. It was just like a nightmare he had.

No...

The gaze of the three college scouts in the stands burned holes into his very being. It felt as if they were the only ones watching, while the rest of the crowd faded into the background. That in itself only brought the heavy pressure he already felt on his shoulders to press down on him even more.

"Swimmers, on your marks."

He got onto the diving board and pressed his goggles on firmly so water wouldn't get into them while he swam. His breathing was gradually getting heavy.

<Flashback>

"M/n! Hurry up!"

"We're gonna lose because of you!"

"Dive in already!"

I dove in too late, pushing my limbs to get me farther. I was way behind.