Chapter 12

All day, M/n avoided the swim club members. He felt bad, but he wanted to get far away from swimming.

--

"Son..."

"..."

"M/n, please...talk to me..."

"Just leave..."

"You're suffering--"

"And who's fucking fault is that, huh?!"

"..."

"You weren't there when I needed you...! Where was my father when I had to sit around the house all day taking care of myself...?! Where was he...?! The least you could've done was send me some money! My aunt was working her ass off everyday to spare me some money to eat! I had to get a job to support myself after she passed away!"

M/n's father lowered his gaze. "You weren't in my life long enough to be called 'Dad'!", he said, glaring at him. "Don't act like you know me..."

He turned his back to him and went back upstairs.

--

"Don't forget, third years. Final exams are just around the corner. Get to studying so you can graduate on time."

M/n remained silent before getting up and leaving as soon as the bell rang.

--

M/n sighed, feeling fatigue as he put his stuff down. He grabbed a cup of water and sat down at the table. His emotionless gaze turned towards his phone as it buzzed against the hard surface.

F/n...

He didn't feel like talking to anybody. He felt confused about everything.

Did I make the right decision...? If I did...why do I feel like a piece of me is missing...?

--

"Cheer up, M/n...It might not be the best times for you, but...Trust me when I say it'll get better..."

"Better...?", M/n muttered, his bangs shading his eyes.

"M/n...F/n wasn't gonna be around forever..."

"Besides...you have us now."

He stood up from his desk, not noticing the looks of sympathy he was getting from his friends as he walked out. He leaned against the railing as the wind blew against his hair. M/n closed his eyes, trying to calm down.

"L/n-senpai..."

M/n's eyes widened as he saw Nagisa standing just a few feet away from him.

"Senpai...why did you quit...?"

M/n turned his gaze to the ground before moving his body so his back faced Nagisa once again.

"Does it matter so much...?", he asked quietly.

"Of course it does!"

Again, M/n's eyes widened. He had never heard Nagisa yell like that. "It does matter! M/n, you got us to qualify! How can you stand there and ask if it mattered?!"

Turning to face, M/n noticed the tears that were starting to fall. It made him feel even more guilty.

"It mattered because we did it as a team! You're part of our team, M/n! It makes me mad to think that it was okay to leave us after that--"

"So, what?", he said, his voice laced with venom.

"Huh?"

"Why do you care so much? Why now? Why did you even waste your time to try and get me to join? Why?"