Chapter 14

"Attention, third year students. Final exams are just around the corner. Be prepared. Please go see Nakamura-sensei at Career Counselling if you have any questions."

M/n sighed as he looked at the clear blue sky above him. White clouds were scattered all over it. "Excuse me."

He sat up and looked to see the student council vice president standing at the door to the roof. "Vice pres", M/n said. "What brings you here?"

"I was told by Nakamura-sensei that you go see him."

M/n looked back up at the sky. "Why can't he just let it go already?", he mumbled.

He heard footsteps draw near before he saw her sit down beside him. "I was wondering..."

"..."

"How come Nakamura-sensei always wants to see you?"

"I'm wondering the same thing."

"I know you know."

"..."

"Come on. You can tell me."

"Fine...He wants me to do something about college when I graduate."

"Have you not decided what college you want to go to?"

"Yes and no."

"What do you mean?"

"To be honest, I have no plans after high school..."

"Really? Then, what about sports? You're good at that."

"I rather not."

"Hmm...what about just going to community college?"

"I've thought about that..."

"I'm surprised."

"Hmm?"

"I thought you of all people had the dream to go to a college for sports."

"That can't be true. I doubt anybody believes that."

"You'd be surprised how many people think you want to attend a college like that."

"There's no way."

"It's true. Despite your complaints about it, I bet you'd make an excellent athlete."

"You know..."

"Hmm?"

"Now that I think about it, I've never had a chance to talk to you like this."

"Yeah. Me neither."

"Anyway...I'll see you around, vice prez."

She waved as he stood up and left.

--

"You wanted to see me?"

"Yes. Sit down."

With a frustrated sigh, M/n sat down. "Are we really going to have the same conversation like last time?"

"Yes, we are. L/n, why is it that you don't have any plans?"

"I just don't. Why can't you understand that?"

Nakamura-sensei himself sighed and handed a paper to M/n. "If you have no interest, perhaps you should try out community college."

Hesitantly, M/n accepted the papers and skimmed through them. "Community College in Tokyo?"

"Yes."

"Nakamura-sensei, how about you just hand over the job application sheets?"

"L/n--"

"Please...No matter what, you just can't change my mind, sensei."

After a few seconds of silence, he gave in and handed him a page full of job titles in the area. "Here, L/n..."

M/n accepted them and left the room in silence.

--

"Nakamura-sensei? What's wrong?"

"I couldn't do it..."

"Hmm?"

"I just couldn't convince him to go to community college...I don't know what else to do."

"Oh, my...", Mrs. Amakata said, though she knew who he was referring to. "He'll come around...I'm sure of it", she assured him.

--

The light of the pool reflected against M/n's face, illuminating his features. He looked uncertain as he watched the still surface of water. M/n felt lost and confused. He no longer knew what he wanted to do.

He had taken what Nakamura-sensei had told him numerous times before into consideration. He had choices opening up to him. But, the more of them there were, the more uncertain he grew.

"You're putting your future at risk here, L/n. You have less than a month before you leave Iwatobi High School for good."

M/n knew in the back of his mind that Nakamura-sensei was right. His choice now impacted his future. At times, thoughts of considering community college crossed his mind.

<Flashback>

"M/n, honey, do you like swimming?"

"Yes!"

She chuckled softly as she ruffled my hair. "That's good. I want you to grow up and be something. To be somebody in life. You'll be great at whatever you do. And do you know why?"

"No. Why?"

"Because you're M/n L/n. You're my son and I know you'll be whatever you want."

"I'll make you proud, Mom! I promise!"

"That's my boy."

<End>

His mother hadn't gotten a chance to finish her education because of her family constantly moving around. She wanted M/n to stay home and finish out school so he could be successful. He promised he would finish school and bring back something she herself had never had the chance to get.

But...life had other plans. His mother died tragically. He was left alone as his father went out to perform jobs in other countries and cities. During that time, he felt no one cared. His aunt helped, but she passed away as well. He looked at F/n's mom like his own. But, that too was gone along with his source of freedom: F/n.

She was always there for him and treated him like a brother. When he had problems he couldn't solve on his own, he looked to her for guidance. They were seen together so much, some thought they were really siblings. The only thing that dismissed that thought though was the fact that their last names were different.

Thinking about it, he felt like he was betraying his mother if he simply turned to working after high school. The guilt was too much, but so was the cost. He would have to leave his home here in Iwatobi Town to get a place near the community college.

I have to keep my promise to her...No matter what...

He looked at his reflection in the water for awhile before slashing through it in frustration. He didn't know what to do. He needed guidance. Advice.

For the first time in a long long time, he felt hopeless. It confused him. He always relied on himself, but now...he lost his way...he lost his passion...he lost his best friend...

M/n felt like everything was being taken away from him. He was drifting away in a vast ocean with nothing to help him.

--

"Hello?"

"Good evening. I was calling about L/n M/n."

"What about him? Did he do something wrong? Oh, boy...That kid sure gets into some deep trouble."

"Not to worry, Nakamura-san. I assure you L/n has done nothing of the sort. I was calling because I want to draft him for our national team."