Bonus Chapter: Audrey versus the corgi.

Start from the beginning

We played with Gizmo for about twenty minutes, but it was more Gizmo and Nathan playing together rather than paying me any attention. I didn't mind, it was cute to see Nathan goof off with the puppy and enjoy himself.

But once they were done, he suggested looking at more dogs to ensure we find our best fit.

In the next room, there was a corgi named Cupcake. When we walked into the room, she immediately charged at us, nipping at our heels. Nathan tried to get her to settle down but failed to no avail, she was just so adamant on chewing on us. At one point, she bounced up from the ground and chomped down on my hand.

"Son of a monkey!" I hissed through my teeth. The corgi let go and scattered to the other end of the room.

"Oh shit, baby, are you okay?" Nathan asked, pulling me close to inspect my hand. Luckily, the wound was hardly bleeding, nor was it deep. It just stung a lot.

I nodded my head and he pulled the door open so we could get out. My eyes landed on the hand sanitizer dispenser that was mounted on the wall and I squirted a couple of drops onto my hand to sanitize before seeing the next dog. As I rubbed my hands together, I let out a small laugh. "I guess corgis are definitely off my list."

"They're not all bad. But," Nathan chuckled as he pointed in Cupcake's direction. "That one is evil."

I laughed as we walked down the hall and there was a room with two dogs lying together. One was black from their face to tail, but was white on the belly and legs. The other one was brown from their face to tail but was also white on the belly and legs. I read the sign and cocked my head to the right. "The black and white one is named Luke and the brown and white one is named Leia. They're two years old, a Pitbull Boxer mix, and also siblings."

Nathan smiled to himself. "They're cute."

Without saying anything else, I opened the door and walked inside. Both of the dogs raised their heads, but did not move, looking quite unsure of the situation.

Nathan entered from behind. "What are you doing, princess?"

I turned to Nathan and shrugged. "Looking at the puppies, they're so cute."

"But they have to be adopted together," he said, looking just as unsure as the dogs.

I ignored his statement and walked over slowly to the pair anyway. Luke's head shot up and he unraveled himself from Leia, walking over slowly to me to meet my outstretched hand. His snout touched the tips of my fingers and once he was done, he tilted his head.

"It's okay, little guy, I just want to pet you, is that okay?" I reassured in soothing tones.

Going on my knees, I held out my hand once again and Luke began to sniff me some more. He must have been thinking about whether he could trust me or not because he sat down right in front of me for about a minute before he got back up again and walked over to me. He began to lick my hands as I slowly started petting him, careful not to spook him. Soon, he was jumping on my lap, licking my face, his tail wagging fiercely.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Leia getting familiar with Nathan,  licking his hands, however, it took I could tell she was still having an internal debate about whether she could trust us. Unlike Luke, she kept her distance despite licking Nathan's hand, but after around fifteen minutes, she also was on his lap, basking in all the attention she was getting.

Nathan shot me a pointed stare. "If we don't adopt these two, I'm breaking up with you."

"Funny," I laughed, knowing damn well whether we got the puppies or not that he wouldn't do such a thing. "I was going to say the same thing."