EDITED VERSION: Chapter Twenty-Two

"Oh," Nathan's mother began. Her eyes started to swell with tears as she fanned her face. "I had such a lovely evening with you boys, and especially you Audrey."

I nodded my head and gave her a smile. "Thank you for having me, it was an amazing dinner."

Julie pulled me in for a hug and rubbed my back. I stared at Nathan with an expression that said help, but he simply shrugged his shoulders and smirked at the scene before him.

Darian said his goodbyes to his mother, as did Nathan, meanwhile, the taxi pulled up in front of us.

Steve said his quick goodbyes. It was hard for him to get a word in with Julie rambling her goodbyes and thank yous.

Nathan grabbed my hand as we started to go down the stairs, making me blush and almost lose my footing. He let out a little chuckle under his breath. "Don't worry, princess. If you fall, I'll catch you."

***

When we got home, Darian and Nathan raced to their rooms to get their suits off--something they have been complaining about the whole ride home.

I decided to have a shower, seeing as I didn't actually get a chance before we left. As I looked in the mirror, I sighed. What have I gotten myself into? Sure, it was one night of pretending, but what about other holidays or birthdays? Was I always going to be his fake girlfriend, or would I ever be anything more? More than that, did I want to be anything more?

I got undressed and hopped into the blistering hot shower, trying my best to soothe my pressing thoughts. I tried to think of anything but Nathan, however, I failed nearly instantly as I heard his voice shouting from the living room.

Worried, I shut off the water and quickly got dressed into some sweats and a green camisole. Throwing my wet hair in a bun, I went to go see what all the commotion was.

"I told you to get the hell out!" Nathan yelled at a man standing at the door.

The man raised his hands and his hazel eyes stared at him, pleadingly. "Please, Nathan. I just want to talk."

I stayed in the hallway and Darian was wide-eyed in the kitchen, watching this scene pan out in front of him. He met my eyes and shook his head slowly, telling me not to move.

"You want to talk?" Nathan let out a bitter laugh. "Christ, I talk about you for the first time in years and suddenly you show up at my door? What are you, Beetlejuice? You have had seventeen years to talk and yet you have been silent!"

The man took a small step towards Nathan and Nathan punched the wall he was closest to, causing the man to take a step back.

Not listening to Darian's look, I rushed towards Nathan and placed my hands on his shoulders, trying to get him to look at me while standing between him and the man. "Nate, look at me." His eyes lingered on the man behind me, but slowly, they landed on mine. His eyes swelled with anger, frustration, and a sense of overwhelming sadness. My heart clenched seeing him like this, but I simply took a deep breath and said, "You need to breathe, okay? Just breathe."

He nodded his head slowly and attempted to follow my breathing. When he seemed calmer, his voice cracked as he said, "I don't want him here."

"I know," I whispered. "Maybe you can go outside for a bit and Darian and I will handle this, okay?"

Nathan nodded his head and went to his room to grab a hoodie and his pack of cigarettes. Not meeting the eyes of anyone in the room, he went out on the balcony.