Bonus Chapter: Audrey versus the corgi.

*6 months after the final chapter NOT the Epilogue*

"It's quiet without everyone living here anymore," I sigh as I plop down beside Nathan on our bed.

My boyfriend wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close. "I know, princess but at least now we have our own space."

"True," I reply, still feeling down that everyone was gone. I knew having six of us under one roof wasn't going to last long, but I didn't think they'd leave so soon. Samara and Hayden decided to go backpacking around Europe for the next four months and once they returned, they were going to find a place of their own. Meanwhile, Justin and Darian moved out a week ago since getting engaged two weeks prior to that. I was happy for everyone, but I also missed seeing them everyday. "It just seems so silly to have such a big place when only two people occupy it."

Nathan played with my hair as he thought to himself quietly. After a few minutes, he said, "You know what? You're right. Get dressed, we're going out today."

▪▪▪

An hour later, Nathan and I stood outside a building that had painted paw prints on the front glass door. Despite not being inside yet, we could hear the barks and howls from outside.

I bit my lip, hesitant to go inside. "A puppy? Nate, you know I've never had a dog before."

Nathan laced his fingers through mine. "Don't worry, princess, I've had several. I promise we won't leave here today until we find a dog both of us can handle."

I nodded my head slowly. "Alright but what if none of the dogs like me?"

"I highly doubt it," He chuckled, tilting his head back, as if the thought of not liking me was completely absurd. He walked forward as he pulled open the door. "These dogs are just looking for a safe place to call home, I'm sure they'll love anyone who provides them that."

I nodded my head once again and we approached a woman at the crescent shaped desk. She wore scrubs, like the kind nurses wear but instead had the rescue's logo on the right side of the top. "Welcome to The World of Paws and Pals, what can I do for you today?"

Unsure what to say, I turned to Nathan, we has clearly done this before. He shot the woman a kind look and said, "We're here in hopes to adopt a dog. Is there any available at the moment?"

The woman nodded her head vigorously. "Oh yes, follow me."

She got up from her desk and led us through the rescue, down numerous hallways, and eventually to one narrow hall that had several rooms with glass windows so you could peer inside. In one of the windows, there was a family playing with a black lab.

"Beside each window, there is information on each dog such as their weight, age, breed, etc," the woman explained. "When you find one you believe is the best fit, we'll hold an interview and go from there."

Nathan and I nodded our heads and proceeded down the hallway, looking at each dog and their information they provided.

Eventually, we came across one window with a german shepherd sitting right in the middle of the room. When he saw us, he tilted his head in curiosity. Nathan read the information by the window as he rubbed his jaw. "His name is Gizmo. Want to check him out?"

"Sure," I respond, pulling the door open.

Nathan and I stood by the entrance and waited for the dog to approach us, careful not to spook him. When Gizmo realized we were not going to leave, he walked over to us carefully, not sure what to make of us. He sniffed my outstretched hand and did nothing, however, when he sniffed Nathan's hand he licked it.