Prolouge

I'd seen those eyes before

It wasn't even possible for me to mistake them because you don't see these kind everyday around here. We only have normal browns and occasional blue eyes. So I was sure I had seen you sea green eyes before. I had always been a fan of beautiful eyes, so I didn't miss it.

You walked into the class like it was the most casual thing in the world. Maybe it was. Maybe I was just the one tipping the jars. If someone had told me that I was just simply tipping myself over, that I might never just find myself again, I wouldn't have paid attention, just like I looked away when you walked in the class

You walked in and every where was hushed. Everyone was staring at you. I looked up, expecting to find the lecturer but instead I found your familiar eyes. I crunched up my brows, trying to remember where I had see you before while your eyes skimmed your surroundings, drinking in what was before you. I see your calculative gaze passing by almost every person and thing in the room.

Then I got it, the beach. I had looked at you strange then; I'd never seen anyone with sure rich chocolate skin and green eyes. It gave me cause to wonder your ancestral roots, the beauty that created you, the master piece. Sighing and giving up, I had looked away from you.

I looked away from you again when I remembered where I seen you. No one else did. They looked hell bent on making you feel uncomfortable but you didn't seem to mind so I continued reading the novel in my hand.

Maybe you got tired of standing because I later heard you footsteps walk up to an empty seat in the back of the class. I wonder why I heard it when it was usually very hard for my attention to be drawn out of books when I'm reading.

I shrugged and continued. The staring had reduced by the time the lecturer walked in to start the class. I groaned inwardly. I hoped it would be a free period. When I pulled my attention to my surroundings, I noticed the girls were watching you and gossiping. Most boys had already began to scorn you because of your good looks. It was expected.

No one bothered to ask you to introduce yourself. But that didn't die things down because once the class was over and the lecturer left, I had to plug in my earpiece so I couldn't hear girls fawning over you and introducing themselves.

"Jace" I heard you say before the music made me deaf. You voice was quite soft. Of course it held signs of a growing boy being gruff and deep, but it was soft other wise.

I sat in my seat with my eyes closed, enjoying my favourite playlist that plays songs that didn't need me to reach for my iPod every few minutes to switch out unwanted songs. Only when the playlist ended did I open my eyes and realise most of the class had cleared out. Since I had nothing more on my schedule, I decided to sit back there and relax. I took out my earplugs out and tried to finish my novel

"Are you going to keep watching everything from afar or have an actual conversation?" I jumped in my seat, startled by your voice because I hadn't thought you'd still be in the class. I had probably even forgotten about your existence.

I couldn't tell you were talking to me till I looked around the class and noticed I was the only one close enough to actually hear you. I turned slowly to meet your eyes and kept chanting in my head not to get mesmerized because I knew pretty eyes were my weakness and you came at me with full force. You smile lightly at me, a very calm and inviting smile.

"I didn't realize we needed to have a conversation" I gave you a bored look because I was trying to make myself as uninterested as I could get

"Don't need to but should. You're the only person I know here" you shrugged. Once again, you behaved like everything was as normal as life comes

"H-how..?" I ask, unintelligibly I must add, what you meant by knowing me

"At the beach? I noticed you staring" At this point, you began to amaze me at how lightly you took everything. It seemed like nothing fazed you and you were just breezing through the world like how you deemed fit.

"You don't seem very American with you dark skin but the eyes and accent give off something else" I lay it all out because I can tell already that nothing offends you, not easily

"So you're a curious one" you state nicely. I could tell from then that you are a warm person behind your chill facade

"So you're excessively casual" I retort and I can see a thin smile on your lips that I had resorted to glancing at every other time, hoping you wouldn't notice

"Doesn't change the fact that you're the only one I know here, making us automatic friends" you concluded with such finality that I didn't even want to argue with

"I wouldn't really say we know each other though...." I trail off, not sure what to say anymore

"You're pretty" you say out of the blues

"Oh wow" I try to contain the heat growing on my face by looking around the class and only turn back when I'm composed again "You're pretty straight forward"

"It's a habit. What's your name?" You ask

"Autumn"

"Hi, I'm Jace"

"I know"