Chapter 21

"I was so excited when I heard about your dad!" He cheered. "I'm really proud of him." 

My dad had gone three whole weeks without touching booze. He's doing really well. And I'm proud of him. And on top of that, knowing how Frank and I felt about each other was really awesome. 

"I know!" I replied. "My mom doesn't have anything for me to do today so we can do whatever, all day!"  

"Awesome because my mom doesn't have anything for me to do either." 

"What do you want to do then?" I asked as we started to walk down the cool street. 

A smile spread across his face. "It's a surprise!" 

He pulled me down the street. I held onto my scarf and finished buttoning up my long-ish blue coat as we ran. The crisp air rushing against my face. 

We came up to the pond and we ran down Melody trail, our feet pattering against the pavement. We finally came up to the water and stood at the shore. 

I looked around, wondering what he was talking about. "What is the surprise?" I asked. 

Frank looked at me with a smile before running off. "Frankie!" I shouted, chasing after him. 

I lost him. "Frankie?" I put my hand on a tree and stopped there, looking around for him. "Frankie?" 

I kept going ducking from some of the low hanging branches and wondered through the orange leaves. I heard a noise and jogged over to it, assuming it was Frank. 

I put a hand over my mouth as he smiled brightly and put his arms up in a "ta da" way. He stood next to a boat and swung his arm for me to get in.  

I stood beside him, looking out at the water, it was sparkling and orange leaves fell into it. I wrapped my arms around the back of his neck. "Oh my God. You're the best!" I said. 

He returned the hug. "Now come on!" He replied, gesturing for me to get in. I did and he pushed it out on to the water, jumping in at the last second. He grabbed on to the ores and started rowing. 

I put my hands between my legs and excitedly smiled. I had never been out on the pond before. This was so amazing. 

"Do you like it?" He asked as he continued to row. 

"Yes!" I replied. "I love it! It's so beautiful." 

"Yeah, I know something else that's pretty beautiful too." He smirked. 

"Nice." I chuckled. "Real smooth." 

I rested my arms on the side of the boat and my chin on my arms. I touched the water, watching the little rippled afterwards. He stopped rowing and let the boat just sit there. 

"I'm glad you like it." He said. 

I sighed happily. "This is so amazing. Where did you get the boat?" 

"A friend." He replied. "So, I have something to give you." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a silver chain. "It's for your locket, you know, because Mason broke the chain." 

I took the locket off and pulled the chain out of the little whole on it. He replaced it and gestured for me to move my hair so he could put it on me. 

I did and turned around so he could. He put it around my neck. "There." He said. 

"Thank you." I thanked him with. I kissed him on the cheek. "You're the best." 

"I know." He smirked. I gave a light laugh. "But you can still be the second best." 

"I can live with that." I shrugged with a smile.