Chapter 14

"Are you done?" Frank asked, leaning over my shoulder as I finished up on my painting. 

"Yup, just about." I replied, not giving him my full attention. 

"It's really good Ally." He said as I looked over it. 

"I guess it's pretty much done." I said, setting the paint brush down.  

"Okay, so is it okay if I take it home with me?" He asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets. 

"Uh, sure." I replied. "I mean, if you like it that much." 

"Of course I do, it's really good. It took so long too! It took hours!" 

I gave a light chuckle. "I'd better get home before my mom has a freaking cow." 

"What!?" He squealed. "That's just not fair! How come I can't get a puppy, but your mom can have a cow!?" 

I couldn't help but burst into laughter. "Oh God. You know what I meant Frankie."  

********** 

It was actually a pretty good day, thanks to Frank. Despite my doubts this morning, it was okay. Frank let go of my hand and waved as he went to his house. I stood there and just watched him go in. 

That boy. That damn boy. 

He was different, and I've known that my whole life, he would be there for me no matter what, when or even why. And the thing was, I don't even know how the hell he does it. I'd feel like crap, and then he'd just hold my hand, hell, he'd make me feel better by just smiling. 

That smile, his smile. 

The corners of my lips turned up and I proceeded to my house. I placed a hand on my front door and pushed it open, hoping that I'd find my mom just doing whatever, and my dad with her. That would mean he wasn't out getting wasted. 

I stepped in, and heard Kenny crying. "Kenny?" I asked, I was a bit worried. Crystal was probably asleep right now though so I didn't worry about her. 

I sat beside him as my dad stumbled in. Great, of course. 

"Dad's acting weird Ally." Kenny whimpered. I came to a realization that Kenny really hadn't seen him like that, dad would come home late, after he was asleep. 

"C'mon, how about you go to your room, and play a game." I suggested, taking him by the hand and letting go as he walked up the stairs, rubbing his eyes and sniffling. 

I turned towards my dad. He leaned against the wall, holding a bottle of booze in his hand, taking a sip he wiped his mouth. 

"Give me that." I said, snatching it from him, although I got in trouble for doing so last time. 

"Ally, don't even." He muttered. "Give it back now." 

I pulled it away. "No, just please, go to bed or something." I pleaded. "You're scaring Kenny. He doesn't understand dad." 

"Well neither do you." He slurred. "You're just a little kid, and you don't have the right to take things from me. I'm trying to get you to understand..." 

I cut him off. "No, I don't need to understand anymore than the fact that this," I held up the bottle, "is bad for you, and it's tearing you apart." 

"You know what?" He mumbled as he dismissively waved his hand. "I'm not going to try to explain anything to you. You're not even worth it." 

Tears flooded my eyes as he said this. Even if he wasn't in his right mind, he said what he said, and though he probably wouldn't remember it tomorrow, I would. I shoved the bottle at him.