The Anniversary to Remember

Start bij het begin

Throughout dinner they had light conversation and it irked Gray a lot. Usually they chatted non stop and sometimes stayed later than they should. Juvia took her last bite of the cake and let Gray finish the rest, she knew he loved it.

Slowly she placed a small velvet box on the table and slid it towards him. He wiped his face with a napkin and furrowed his eyebrows at the sight.

"What's this?" he asked and she motion for him to open it. He picked it up and his eyes widened when a chain with silver cross was inside.

"Juvia knows how upset you were when you lost it. It's not the original but she hopes it will do." The soft smile he loved was on her face and for the first time that night her usual self returned.

"Wow. Juvia I love it. But what is it for? Why today." He asked and her face fell.

"Gray-sama." she whispered. "Please tell Juvia you are kidding. Please tell her you didn't forget." He could hear her voice break and his blood ran cold. Like a slap to the face he realized.

"I forgot-"

"-Our anniversary." She finished and he could hear the rain start to fall outside.

"Juvia I am so sorry." He tried to grab her hand but she pulled back. Hurt was written all over her face and her lower lip pouted out.

"Juvia isn't mad that you forget all of the small ones she's created but she thought you would at least remember the one you made. The most important one." She stood up and grabbed her purse and stormed out of the restaurant.

Gray quickly stood and chased after her, not caring about all the bad looks he received from the other customers. He saw her up ahead and knew her heels couldn't out walk him.

"Juvia!" he called after her but she didn't bother to turn around. The rain fell heavily on them as she continued to walk further from him and ignored all of his calls.

"Damn it Juvia. Ice make wall!" And she stopped in her tracks as his magic formed a wall in front of her. She was about to use her magic, her arm went into the air as the rain poured down but his hand caught her and pulled her to his chest. "Juvia please." He pleaded and she let out a sob.

He could feel her body shivering against his and regret punched him in the gut. Her curled blue locks unraveled as the rain poured down and his hair stuck to his face.

"Please Juvia." He whispered. She shook her head and her hand went to cover her sobs. The rain coming down was ice cold, cold like her heart at the moment.

"Sometimes Juvia thinks you only married her because of the baby." The truth had slipped out and both of them froze. His hand let go of her wrist but he kept her back pressed to his chest.

"You do?" his voice was quiet and he didn't trust it.

"Sometimes Juvia feels like you love her because you have to, like you are trapped. And if our son wasn't born-" Her voice cracked. "You wouldn't be with Juvia."

She turned and saw the hurt in her eyes and she instantly regretted it. She didn't want him to think she had doubts but it had become to much for her.

His grip loosened and he took a step back. The rain fell between them. "But Juvia is just being silly." She turned around and hugged herself while walking past him. "Lets just go home."

He was silent and didn't move. Tears pricked his eyes and for once he didn't care about showing emotion. He had to vulnerable he knew that, but he didn't think it would take a toll on her. It wasn't fair and now the woman who loved him unconditionally was having doubts because of him.