"I was found and drafted after waking up from the snake's bite. They saw Ronin unconscious and thought him dead, so I acted as if he were to keep them from taking him too." Heirsa said. "After being drafted and completing my first mission, the Queen took notice of my skills in combat and I slowly got promoted."

"You are missed in Kyril," Ronin told Heirsa.

"And I've missed it too, every single day I've been here. The war is a brutal place to be swept away to." Heirsa replied. "Unfortunately I now have a sworn duty to the Queen and can't return home until the war is won."

Grian felt stabbed to the heart. "What if the Republic wins?"

"Perhaps I'll never return then," Heirsa said heavily. "I'm sorry."

"If anyone will win this war, it'll be you," Ronin assured, although the thought of Heirsa never returning hurt him just as deeply as it had last year after the search for him had been relinquished.

"It's wonderful to see you both," Heirsa said. "I trust the battle is in good hands if you'll be fighting on our side. Please forgive me, I'm required to report back to Her Majesty shortly."

Heirsa seemed reluctant to leave, but after a heartfelt farewell, mounted his horse and rode off.

Once assured that the soldiers were in the process of being prepared for training, Heirsa returned to his chambers at the castle

Once assured that the soldiers were in the process of being prepared for training, Heirsa returned to his chambers at the castle. Irisa granted him a lavish lifestyle in exchange for his service as her Army's general. Not only did he oversee most of the war efforts, but he informed her of any news that came across the borders.

He reached his chambers and unlocked the large oak doors. The large room they opened into was filled with dark velvet benches, a large bed on a dark stone dais, white pillars holding up the high cobblestone ceiling, and a large fireplace. Red carpet covered most of the floor and lead up to large windows on the south wall that looked out over snow-covered forests.

"The soldiers are well on their way?" Irisa's iron presence filled the room soon after Heirsa had filled the fireplace with wood.

"Would I have returned otherwise?" Heirsa returned. His tone was like silk, unbroken by any emotion.

"I thought there might be another reason," Irisa folded her arms over her body, as if the chilling tension Heirsa was purposely filling the room with was actually affecting her.

"You're still on about that." Heirsa mentioned, clipping his sentence blatantly. He stirred the embers leftover in the fireplace, and soon the flame caught onto the wood and a blaze began. He moved to the small table near the centre of the room and picked up his flask.

Irisa laughed a humour less, low laugh. "I keep forgetting that your only a child inside, far too foolish to see what opportunity lies in front of you." She said, her satiny gown sweeping lightly over the carpet as she moved to look out the large windows.

A dry chuckle escaped Heirsa's throat. "A child you've put in charge of every army in your Kingdom." He said, locking eyes with her as she turned to him again.

"General," the Queen's tone had shifted slightly now. "your cute little insults may flatter other women but--"

"You idiotic sow." Heirsa declared her as he sat down on one of the thickly-cushioned benches. His eyes flickered with slight amusement, but he maintained a look of utter disinterest. He uncorked his flask and brought it to his lips, just as there was a knock at the door.

"Enter," The Queen, who was glaring daggers at Heirsa, called out.

"The new soldiers are now fully equipped for battle your majesty." Javal informed the Queen as he stood at the doors.

"They've all signed the Accords as well?" Irisa asked.

"As you required Majesty." The nervous commander responded.

"Yes well, hats off to you Javal," Heirsa lifted his flask in salute before taking another drink. Javal lingered in the doorway long enough to give a humble smile, bow and then he turned on his heel and left.

"I swear, the incompetence and lack of conditioning in that man is absolutely staggering." Heirsa stated, his glance moving to watch the queen at her position near the window.

The queen appeared to have something gnawing at her attention. She'd been informed by another of her officers that Heirsa had a brother and sister who'd recently been drafted. "Your siblings are—"

"Yes." Heirsa cut her off with no interest in what she was about to say. "I should be returning to work now," he said.

Irisa exhaled, then walked swiftly out of the room.

Author's Note

Author's Note .

Phew. That was...intense or something. It's so late guys but I don't even care...this story has me just as hooked as I hope it does you!
Sorry for any typos and grammatical errors! This draft is probably so baddddd...thanks for putting up with it haha.

All my love,
Kori Kalon .