Ch.18 A Break, For the First Time in Forever

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Yeah… That’s sort of the only way you can transport from that side to this side…” He says slowly.

“Even for us?” Kai asks in disbelief.

“Even you guys,” The guide confirms.

We stare at him in shock, but he doesn’t seem to be affected by our stares.

“So are you guys ready to go?” He asks excitedly.

“No…” I say slowly.

“You guys bungee jumped, this is way less scarier than that,” He says trying to convince me.

“You guys need to leave soon! The person can’t jump with you guys still here,” The guide at the center of the rock says starting to sound impatient.

“We should, you guys,” The guy next to us whisper.

I look over our shoulder to see the other guide glaring at us.

“Lead the way!” I urge with a totally different attitude.

He gracefully hops from rock to rock. Kai and I follow him, trying to copy his movements. Kai actually was pretty graceful, but I was as graceful as a hippo. I nearly slipped off the last rock, but Kai pulls me and I retrieved my balance.

“The next person is jumping!” Our guide interrupts our exchange.

We simultaneously look up towards the sky hoping that we can recognize the person that’s jumping.

Sadly, I guess there is too much of a height difference from where we stand and on top of the cliff (or bridge). The sunlight didn’t help either because we could barely stare up because it’s blinding.

We wait for the indications that a person’s jumping off the bridge in silence. By indications I mean, ear-piercing screams or a sudden shadow encasing the canyon.

When none of these indications are confirmed, Kai and I exchange a confused expression. The guide notices our confused expression and smiles.

The guide explains, “Its probably just that the jumper is hesitat-“

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

The sudden and unexpected interrupting ear piercing scream causes us to jump in our spots.

The guide looks bewildered-probably from the surprise of how loud and high in pitch the scream is.

Kai and I laugh so much, clutching our stomachs from laughing too much. This time it’s the guide who is looking at us in confusion.

“That. Has. To. Be. Jessica!” Kai choke on his words laughing.

“That dolphin scream though,” I say tears prickling at my eyes.

“GET ME OFF THIS THING!!!” Jessica shouts, her voice cracking.

My amusement quickly turned into worry.

“Kai! Jade!” Jessica shouts waving her hands from on top of the rock.

“How was it?” I shout back.

She sighs and doesn’t reply but starts walking from rock to rock towards us.

Kai and I eagerly wait for her to reach us, but Jessica really takes her time. When she finally reaches us-it takes her a while- she immediately puts both of us in a headlock, catching both of us by surprise.

“Wait what?” I ask confused.

“Why are you doing this to us?” Kai asks in panic.

Jessica doesn’t reply, but the trembling of her body tells me that she’s laughing at us.