seventy two

"Remember us. Remember. That we lived."

***

***

I was excited to finally be attending the fair that everyone had worked so hard and long for. It was a symbol of coming together and making each other stronger.

A kingdom lookout opened the gate for us, and I could already hear the commotion and excitement. Magna's group waited excitedly for Connie, and Carol and Ezekiel looked relieved to see Henry.

I hopped out of the carriage and hung back, my face lighting up at the reunions. Everyone was excited to see Michonne and Judith, especially Carol, who had a significant role in caring for the little girl.

Carol enveloped me in a hug, and I smiled, giving Ezekiel a happy look as well.

"You guys seem to be doing alright," I laughed, and Carol nodded.

"Do you remember us?" Carol then turned to Judith, who looked up at her.

"I've been drawing pictures of you since I was little. You're Carol, and you're the King.
Your hair got really long," Judith laughed, and we joined in.

"It did."

"The plan was to bring Henry.
Just Henry," Tara growled, studying the nervous face of Lydia and the exasperated one of Ben. They must be tired of this.

"Gather up all the leaders. We have a lot to talk about," Michonne ordered, and it was time for a long-awaited meeting.

***

"I know I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with everyone in this room. But I never stopped caring about any of you. I was just trying to protect my family and do right by my people. Alexandria's future is here. Together with you. And we lost sight of that for a while. But I'm here now. We're here now," Michonne finished as I studied the faces of everyone in the theatre.

I sat in the front row between Ben and Henry, followed by Lydia and Judith, sat in my lap. I looked at the leaders thoughtfully, Michonne, Ezekiel and Carol, Tara and Rachel—who was once just a little girl that didn't leave Cyndie's side—from Oceanside and Daryl day off to the side.

"I've taken an informal vote with the other council members at the fair, and we all agree. Alexandria is willing to grant asylum to Lydia and Ben. They're one of us now.
We hope the rest of you can join us in doing the same," Gabriel spoke up, and I smiled, looking to Ben, who was already squeezing my hand.

"Thank you. We'll do whatever we can to earn our keep and pay you back," Ben nodded, and Lydia added a thank you as well.

"If her mother retaliates, it's gonna be against Hilltop, not Alexandria. I have to do right by my people. I thought we were on the same page," Tara said worriedly, and I assumed that they now knew Ben wasn't the main threat right now. It was Lydia that they were worried about since she was Alpha's daughter.