sixty one

"Where there is power, there is resistance."

***

***

One month later

I climbed down the tower after finishing my shift on watch. It has been one month, and we're thriving. With everyone working together, life is a little bit easier.

"Good job on the bridge today," I said to Henry, ruffling his hair.

"You too," he laughed a little and fixed his hair.

Henry is like my little brother, the one I never had. We sometimes even argue like siblings.

"You should be proud, kids," Ezekiel said to us after talking to him for a little while.

"The work you've done here.
Someday you'll cross this bridge with your grandchildren and tell them the story of how it was built," I gave him a little smile, but there was the tiniest pang in my heart. It hurt, but sometimes it was nice to think about what a future would've been like with Carl. Having kids, maybe even grandkids.

"I'm not gonna bore my grandkids telling them a story about a bridge," Henry sighed. Ezekiel and I gave each other a knowing look, and he spoke up.

"It's not just a bridge. Roads are the lifeblood of civilization. Rome rose and fell with its roads. Without this bridge, there'd be no trade. Bullets from Alexandria, grain from Hilltop, fish from Oceanside. This boring structure connects us all. Be proud," The king said to Henry.

"Yeah. What he said," I nodded, giggling a little bit.

"And be back in an hour to pack. We're going home," he finished, Henry turning on his heel and passing carol.

"Hey, you forgetting something?" She called him back over. He came back and kissed her on the cheek, making me smile.

"Thanks. Uh, one other thing," she handed him his spear and kissed him on the head, sending him off.

"I'll go with him," I said, kissing Carol on the cheek jokingly. She smiled, and Ezekiel patted me on the shoulder.

"I'll take care of him," He sent me a smile, and I headed off.

"Have a safe journey home," I said over my shoulder.

Following Henry, I helped him pack, and he zipped his bag.

"I'll be back soon," he said, seeing the sad look on my face.

"I know, I know. Just be careful," I said, hugging him.

"I'll see you later."

***

"That one?" I questioned as I pointed to a roaming walker.

Hershel nodded, and that was my signal to attract the walker with noise.

"Hey, over here," I got the rotting corpse's attention.