thirty

"A single thread of hope is still a very powerful thing,"

***

I sat with Maggie at the back of the RV. It turns out that some of Jesus' people were inside, and we got there just in time to help them. Maggie was staring at the man they saved back there, who was shoving pills into his pack.

"Names Harlan, by the way."

"Maggie. This is Skylar," she introduced us.

"That's my husband Glenn," she smiled proudly, pointing to him.

"We're bringing back medications so that you may have saved more people than just us back there, Glenn," Harlan said and smiled.

"You're a doctor?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's right," Harlan nodded.

"You have any prenatal vitamins in there?" Glenn hopefully asked.

"For you?" He asked Maggie, and she smiled and nodded.

"Well, uh, I was an obstetrician before, and I most definitely owe you. So I'd say you two just hit the jackpot."

***

The RV came to another stop, but this time it wasn't voluntarily. We had gotten suck in the mud.

"No worries, we're here."

I hopped out of Rv, my feet landing in the mud. Jesus stopped and marvelled at his community.

"That's us. That's the Hilltop."

We all started walking to a tall fenced-in community. I couldn't see much of it, but from what I heard, it sounded like Alexandria had when we first pulled in.

"Stop right there," a man yelled, and we all pulled out our guns.

"You gon' make us?" Daryl threatened.

"Jesus, what the hell is this?" The man asked.

"Open the gates, Cal. Freddie's hurt."

"Look, sorry about these guys. They get antsy standing up there all day doing nothing," Jesus turned to us and said, making me stifle a laugh.

"They give up the weapons. Then we'll open the gates," Cal boomed.

"Why don't you come down here and get 'em?" Daryl angrily retorted, causing me to grip my gun tighter.

"Gentlemen, look, we vouch for these people, all right? They saved us out there," Harlan spoke for us.

"Look, I'm not taking any chances. Tell your guy Gregory to come out here," Rick ordered.

"No. Don't you see what just happened? I'm letting you keep your guns. Look, we ran out of ammo months ago.
I like you people. I trust you. Trust us. Open the gates, Cal," Jesus ordered.