seventeen

"When you care about people, hurt is kind of part of the package."

***

***

Carol is with the people who took Beth, and now we were going to the hospital to get them. I know they'll be okay until then. They're strong.

I was sitting on the couch with Carl, my head on his shoulder and his arm around me.

"They'll be okay. Right, Carl?" I asked and looked at him. He only nodded and kissed my head.

Sasha was hacking away at a church bench, and Tyreese was taking down pipes from the organ, and Daryl was sticking them into the ground outside the church.
Michonne and Rick were boarding up the windows, and Carl and I were working on the other window, intently studying this Noah guy.

"Be careful," Carl told me as we were getting ready to leave.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, and his arms snaked around my waist. I gave him a quick kiss.

"I love you."

***

Tyreese, Daryl, Rick, Noah, Sasha and I were hiding out in a warehouse, planning our attack.

"At sundown, we fire a shot into the air, get two of them out on patrol. Then, once it's dark enough that the rooftop spotter won't see us, that's when we go," Rick told us.

Rick continued with his plan and drew in the dirt.

"We cut the locks on one of the stairways, take it to the fifth floor. I open the door, Daryl takes the guard out."

"How?" Ty asked, quickly butting in.

"He slits his throat. This is all about us doing this quiet, keeping the upper hand. They're not expecting us. From there, we fan out. Knives and silenced weapons," Rick instructed.

"We need to be fast.
Tyreese, Sasha, take them. Daryl, Skylar, you take care of whoever is in the kitchen," he told us, and I nodded my head in agreement.

"I got Dawn. If they're smart, the rest of them will give up. Then it'll be six on three. Seven on three once we get a weapon to Beth," Rick executed our plan.

"Thirteen on three. The wards will help," Noah added.

"That's best case. What's worst case? All it takes is one of those cops going down the hall at the wrong time. Then it's not quiet—all hands on deck. We're talking about a lot of bullets flying around," Ty protested.

"If that's what it takes."

"It's not. If we get a couple of her cops alive out here, we do an even trade—Theirs for ours. Everybody goes home," Tyreese offered.