thirty two

"The more you care, the more you have to lose."

***

***

Carol pulls her gun from its holster and looks nervously behind Maggie. I follow her gaze and hastily hold my gun up as well. It's a man. He pulls out his gun and aims for Maggie. I'm about to pull the trigger, but Carol does it first. The man falls and groans. He's not dead.

"Damn it, guys, let's go!" Carol insisted.

I silently agreed with Carol.  Maggie walked up to the injured man with her gun.

"Not until it's done."

"Stop!" A woman's voice growls as I feel a gun pressed to my temple.

"Or she's dead."

I'm too afraid to look at the woman, but I can see the fear in Maggie's eyes as another woman holds a gun to her head.

"Guns, knives on the ground right now."

I look out of the corner of my eye to see a redhead; she's the one with a gun to my head.

"Nice jacket," a gruff voice said.

It's another older looking woman with a gun to Maggie.

"For a murderous bitch," the brunette says.

"Well, we'll take it off her before we shoot her," the redhead says.

I slowly take my gun out of its holster and my knife of its sheath, dropping them to the ground. How are we going to get out of this?

***

We've stood here for hours. Morning came, and the redhead had binoculars on, looking at Rick.

"It's Primo," she says as I see Rick jump on the man.

"Damn it; they've got him. Give me the walkie," she demands.

I stand between Carol and Maggie. Usually, they would reassure me when something happened, but they couldn't bring themselves to give me false hope.

"Lower your gun, prick."

Our group looks around frantically. I want to run to them, scream to them, tell them we're here. But I can't unless I want to eat a bullet. Which I don't.

"You, with the colt python. All of you lower your weapons right now," she demands through the walkie talkie.

Rick picks up the walkie and says, "Come on out. Let's talk."

"We can take 'em," the man says. My heart drops.

"We're not coming out, but we will talk," the redhead says to Rick.