sixty two

"You've changed me forever, and I'll never forget you."

***

***

The birds were chirping, and people were laughing when I awoke the next morning.

Rick and a few others had headed back to their designated communities, but not before I noticed a ring on Carol's left ring finger. I smiled, knowing who it was from, but kept it to myself.

Later on that day, news came in that Justin—the saviour who fought Daryl—had been found dead in the forest. Murdered, to be exact.

The caused a riot in the saviours. They were surrounding us, saying that one of us had killed him. Enid and I stood beside Cyndie, knowing that she and her Oceanside group had a motive, but knew they weren't capable of murder, but Cyndie wasn't happy at the accusation.

The mob started drawing closer, our side equally as outraged. Others like Alden and Gabriel were trying to keep the peace. I wasn't much help, as I didn't know the full story.

"Stop it! We're gonna find out who did this, and we're gonna make sure it never happens to us again, all right?" Alden said to a saviour named Jed.

"Us? You're not one of us anymore," Jed fired back, Enid and I giving each other a look.

"Us' means all of us," Alden announced, turning to look at Enid and me. It didn't take with Jed, as he threw a punch and hit Alden in the face. I let out a gasp, Enid's grip tightening on my arm.

"Go shovel that horse shit to whoever killed Justin!" Jed yelled, ready to throw another punch. Carol stepped in, placing a hand on Jed's shoulder. I helped Alden up and looked to where Jed had looked as well. Carol's hand on her holster.

"I thought you were supposed to be our leader," he tested.

"Enough. Turn around, all of you," Carol ordered.

"No can do, Cee. Why don't you go ahead and yank that Roscoe, pop me right here? It's better than worrying about getting it in the back," Jed said, signalling some of us to unholster our guns. I didn't, knowing that it would accomplish nothing.

"We don't want this. Hey, we just need to protect ourselves," a female saviour named Laura stepped in.

"No guns!" A gruff voice yelled from behind us. It was Daryl standing on a box with his crossbow in hand.

"That 'cause you're the one took out Justin?" A bearded saviour asked my uncle, causing me to take a step forward, but Enid didn't let go of me.

"Nah. My money's on garbage lady," another Savior nodded to Anne, formerly known as Jadis. Not many people trusted her, somewhat including me. She had been helping us, but I wouldn't leave my life in her hands.

"Revenge for Simon's play, sure," said a female saviour named Regina.

"No. It's him. Finishing what he started," it went back to the bearded saviour who accused Daryl. He and another saviour left the crowd to pick up axes, now giving me a signal to take out my gun.