nine

"We're all so desperate to be understood, we forget to be understanding."

***

***

Six months later

With the help of the new people, the prison had become a real place to live. We had livestock, fences, and it was an entire community.

I walked outside in the morning and saw the kids playing in the yard.

"Hey guys," I smiled at them, and they all grinned back at me.

"Do you guys wanna do something?" I offered.

"How about hide and seek," Luke exclaimed excitedly.

"Yeah!" Everyone chimed in.

"I'll start," I offered.

"1...2...3..."

After our game, I saw Patrick in the distance coughing violently. He dropped to the ground. I ran over to him and helped him up.

"What's wrong?" I asked frantically.

"I'm not feeling well; I just wanted fresh air," he said, struggling to stand. Carl came running over and stood by us.

"Carl, can you get medication?" I asked as I helped Patrick down in his cell. I gave him the medication, and he thanked me.

"Wait...Can I have a glass of water?" he innocently smiled.

"Fine," I groaned sarcastically.

I got him water and left. The group finished dinner, and I went to my cell. I wasn't feeling too well, so I lay down in the dark. Carl walked in.

"You okay?" He whispered to me.

"Mhm," I hummed. He crawled into bed with me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

***

In the morning, I woke up, and Carl was still asleep. I got dressed and went to find Beth.

"Can I do your hair?" I nodded my head and handed her my hairbrush. She finished my hair, and it looked nice.

"We should do something. Haven't talked in a while," she offered and smiled.

I nodded in agreement, and we sat outside. As I was thinking of what to do, I started to hum the tune of Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley.

"Wait!" She yelled, causing me to jump.

"What are-" before I could say anything, she ran into the prison, causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

Not even five minutes later, she returned with an acoustic guitar.

"Why-" she interrupted me.

"Sing!" She yelled at me, sitting down and adjusting the instrument.