fifty one

"Keep the faith. The most amazing things in life tend to happen right at the moment you're about to give up hope."

***

***

The wind furiously whipped through my hair as I lay my head on Daryl's back, watching the scenery go by. The green leaves and grass blurred into a big silhouette as we sped down the empty road.

The only thing filling the void was a few roaming walkers, broken down cars, and dead leaves littering the cracked pavement.

I could faintly hear Daryl's heartbeat, my ear pressed against his back and my arms around his torso.

I couldn't help but think about my family back in Alexandria. I was eager to see Carl and Michonne and tell them all about our experiences while we were gone. It had only been a short period, but so much had happened.

After a little while of driving, I could feel the engine slowing to a soft purr and started recognizing the scenery around us. The burnt houses were surrounding the community, the fortified walls keeping danger out, and an Alexandrian keeping watch over us.

I could hear several cars pull in behind us from the previous step of our plan. I was happy to know at least some of us got home safely.

The large gate was pulled open by none other than Carl Grimes, Michonne also standing by his side.

Daryl's bike wasn't even at a full stop by the time I was hopping off it, making a full sprint to Carl. His lips curved into a closed mouth smile, and his face lit up.

My heart pounded, and I jumped, wrapping my arms around his neck, his latching around my waist.

"I missed you," he mumbled into my hair, me repeating the same words back to him.

He set me down, and I turned to Michonne, smiling at her as well, pulling her into a tight hug.

"How did everything go?" She asked as she pulled away from me, and I stood next to Carl, slipping my hand into his.

I was about to answer, but Scott walked over with three notes in his hands, giving them to Carl and Michonne.

Maggie wrote the first one we read, the one community I hadn't yet heard from.

"We beat 'em, but things got complicated. Jesus took prisoners, brought them back home. We're holding them outside our gates for now, till we decide what to do. Until I decide," it finished off.

I looked between Carl and Michonne, and they had mixed emotions, as did I. Having the saviours in the Hilltop was dangerous, but it sounded like Maggie had it all under control. She was a natural-born leader.

Carol wrote the second one we read. I knew what had happened and why she had been the one to send it instead of king Ezekiel. He was mourning the loss of his fighters and his tiger.