thirty nine

"Our hands are gently intertwined, A feeling I just can't describe, All this time we spent alone, thinking we could not belong to something so damn beautiful..."

***

***

I laid on Carl's chest, the only comfortable thing I've slept on for a few days. His arm cradled my head as he stroked my hair. I smiled slightly, his heart rhythmically beating softly. I breathed in heavily through my nose.

"You smell good," I mumbled, a dumb smile on my face.

He chuckled lightly.

"Your hair is soft," he said and ran his fingers through it.

I lifted my head to look up at him, my hands replacing the spot where my head once was on his chest.

"You're so handsome, Carl," I told him genuinely.

He rolled his one eye, giving me a constant reminder of the night his whole world changed perspective.

"I think you're gorgeous, Skylar. I've always thought that" he beamed.

I cupped his jaw and leaned in, our lips meeting perfectly. Even on the darkest days, the worst of times, he still managed to make me smile.

***

"You should come with us," Rick urged.

Rick and Aaron are going on a run and are trying to convince Carl to come.

"Carl, it'll be good to get out," I insisted.

He's been distant ever since we met Negan. I understand why, but we all need to help our community in some way.

"Someone's got to be here for Judith," Carl said, not taking his focus off the dartboard.

He wasn't doing very well. His aim isn't all that good with one eye.

"There's people who want to help. We'll only be gone a few days at the most. We need supplies. They're going to be back soon," Rick said, referring to the saviours.

I sighed, knowing Carl wasn't going to give in.

"Is this how it's going to be now?" Carl angrily asked.

"Yes. It is. You know that."

Carl sighed and walked to the dartboard, retrieving the darts lodged into the wall. Rick looked to me for help, and I shrugged sadly. I knew that what I was going to say wouldn't change anything.

"See you in a few days," Carl mumbled.

I nodded to Rick, saying one final goodbye. Rick, Michonne, and Aaron left the room, leaving Carl and me.