forty one

"It's been a long ride without you."

***

***

"Against the grain, kid.
Always against the grain," Negan taught Carl.

Judith sat in my lap, Carl in a chair next to me. Negan was teaching Carl how to shave. He was parading around our house like it was normal that he was here. We all gave him the same confused look—even Judith.

***

"Ah. Damn, that smells good."

Negan was now in the kitchen, cooking goddamn spaghetti. He was making Carl help and even wear an apron. I sat at the counter with Judith in my lap, not saying a word.

"Mmm! Want a taste?" Negan offered Carl a spoonful of sauce.

Carl glared at him, and Negan sighed. I carefully handed Judith to Olivia and made the lemonade, bringing it to the table. I set it down, and Negan glared at me, telling me to pour him a glass. I sarcastically smiled and poured it, then proceeding to slam it down purposefully.

"We're gonna need another setting," Negan muttered to Carl as he was setting the table.

We all sat down and waited awkwardly.

"I'm not waiting for your dad anymore. I don't know where the hell he is, but Lucille is hungry," Negan sighed and put his bat on a chair, acting like it was a human being.

I furrowed my eyebrows in disgust.

"Carl, pass the rolls...Please."

***

I walked onto the porch and saw Negan and Spencer playing pool outside? I stood beside Carl, and we were both baffled. Alexandrians were now starting to crowd around the pool table, wanting to know what was going on.

"I could never do this with Rick. He would just be standing there, scowling, giving me that annoying side-eye he gives me," Negan smirked.

I bit my lip, holding back my anger.

"That's actually what I came to see you about. I want to talk to you about Rick." I shifted my weight to one side and crossed my arms, intrigued as to what Spencer wanted to say.

"All right. Talk to me, Spencer. Talk to me about Rick," Negan sighed and made the first move in their game of pool.

"I get what you're trying to do here, what you're trying to build. I'm not saying I agree with your methods, but I get it. You're building a network. You're making people contribute for the greater good. It makes sense. But you should know that Rick Grimes has a history of not working well with others," Spencer explained.