Loss and Lost, Pt. 1

Start bij het begin

"Somz, let's skip the 'how you've been' okay? Since I've literally been talking to you everyday since you've gone," Taehyung laughed, but a little sadly. "I still miss you, little kiddo. I still remember our little crazy adventures, going bike-riding and rock-climbing and all that. Stay amazing, Somz. Love you always."

Jieun's breath hitched. The fact that they all were this close to Somi and Jieun didn't even know they all existed? How did Somi never mention them to her and... how did they even know her? What about Jungkook-

"Somi," Jungkook finally said, after keeping silent for the long time ever. "I just wanted to say, these days, I miss you so much less and I'm sorry."

"Kook!" Yoojung exclaimed.

"I'm sorry that I'm starting to miss you less, and starting to forget the pain of losing someone that means so much to me," Jungkook continued calmly, his eyes fixated on a small spot of the urn. And Jieun knew, from experience, this was the face he made when he was trying not to cry. "I'm sorry that I'm beginning to move on, slowly, from losing you."

Losing you? Jieun's anxiety was skyrocketing by the second. Something in the back of her mind was bugging her, as if telling her that now was the time she should stop eavesdropping and get out of here. Immediately.

But she simply couldn't, not at this point.

"But you'll be happy for me, won't you?" Jungkook took a deep breath, closing his eyes and swallowing hard. He paused once more, for a long time, as Yoojung, Jimin and Taehyung waited patiently, giving him time to organise his thoughts. "Her name's Jieun, and she's great."

Jieun's stopped breathing momentarily at the mention of her name.

"I kinda like her," Jungkook said quietly. "No, not kinda. I definitely like her. And like, a lot."

Jieun saw Jimin, Yoojung and Taehyung trying to hide their smiles.

"I think... she's the best person I've ever met," Jungkook continued. "Of course she has her flaws, but that only makes me want to be around her so I can help her to change for the better. Likewise, she makes me a better person, I like the way I am around her." Jungkook stopped for a moment to clear his throat, or rather, to hide his awkwardness.

Jieun felt her cheeks flush even in the confusing situation she was in. Jungkook had never been that expressive, but seeing him confess all his feelings for her, so honestly, so openly, in front of all their friends... it made her happy.

But at the same time, even more afraid of what was about to come.

"I confessed to her yesterday. She said she likes me too, but needed time to think about it." Jungkook smiled slightly. "I think you'd like her. Next time, when - if - we're together, I'll bring her to see you, alright? You guys would have gotten along so well, if you were still here." Jungkook sighed. "Anyway, I miss you. I'll come back and visit you soon, okay? Next time I'll try to come with her. I love you, Somi."

I love you?

Jieun was confused. The way Jungkook talked to Somi was completely different from the rest. The way he held the flowers, the way the rest gave him space to talk to her, the way he talked to her... it was just different. The rest of them spoke to her like a close friend, but the way Jungkook talked to her... it was way deeper. With more emotion, with more sentiment, with more... love?

Jieun was so lost in her train of thoughts that she almost didn't notice Jungkook place the flowers in front of her urn, before the four of them started to walk in her direction. But she noticed in the nick of time and hid herself, as best as she could, behind the pillar, once again.

"You alright, Kook?" Jimin patted Jungkook's shoulder, giving it a light squeeze.

"I'm okay," Jungkook smiled slightly. "I think... I really must be starting to forget her."

"Come on, don't say that," Yoojung frowned. "Jieun wouldn't like to hear that because of her, you're starting to forget the loss of your sister!"

Sister.

So that was what it was.

Jieun almost collapsed right then and there.

~

Jisoo was having a great day. The greatest day she was having in... years.

She had such a great sleep last night, the best she'd ever had in years. She was woken up naturally by the sunlight at 12 noon, which she had never done in years. She would always be woken up by her alarm at 6am for school on weekdays, but even on weekends, she'd purposely wake up at the same time just so she could study and for the past few months, prepare food for Seokjin.

Now she didn't need to do all that.

Exams were over and she had broken up. In the past, when exams were over, she'd still force herself to study, for the next exam, for the next academic year. Learning was endless, afterall. It was okay to not have a life, but it wasn't alright to not have good grades.

But these few months of interacting with many different people - be it Taehyung, Byulyi, Jieun, Yoojung or Seokjin - had kind of turned on a switch in her she never knew she had. The desire to get her life back. The desire to make friends, meet new people, not push her body to limits - not for grades, not for people.

Maybe the breakup played a good part in it too. The way she was torturing her body by not eating or sleeping much over Seokjin kind of resembled the way she was whenever exams were approaching. Sure, her relationship had worsened everything by at least 100%, but the way she studied till her nose bled, the way she'd get less than 4 hours of sleep every night, the way her weight would drop by at least 3 kg by the end of the exam period even though she was already underweight... these were all almost just as bad.

Jisoo took a huge gulp of orange juice out of her glass, tucking into the huge plate of food placed in front of her - mushroom omelette, chicken sausages and fried eggs with toast. She had never eaten breakfast ever in the past few years, and this was the best breakfast she had ever eaten.

She finally finished the food, fully satisfied, leaning back in her chair with a full belly.

She was finally starting to live.