'You don't need me for that,' I signed, and he blinked when I sourly gestured, 'Cassidy was there, too, remember? She knows my side of the story just as well since we fell at the exact same time.'

He seemed like he didn't know how to respond to that.

Far off in the distance from down the hall I could smell cooking food, and I faintly heard a series of manly cheers. I heard nothing that remotely sounded like Bash and I swallowed, anxiety increasing with every passing second.

I sighed through my nose, casting a glance at Horst. The boy seemed to be doing much better now and he was in a slightly better mood, maybe, since he was animatedly talking with Tiffy... but, anyone could talk with her and enjoy it. She was just fun to be around. I decided to give my mind a break and go look for Sebastian... if, that is, he hadn't already left for the flash drives.

Shaking my head, I stood up, drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

"I'll be back in a bit," I said, tiredly rubbing my eyes. "I'm gonna go see if I can find Bash."

"You sure?" Tiffany asked, tilting her head. "I mean, he's probably talking with the other Alpha right now, what's-his-face--"

"Jak," Horst provided.

"--right, Jak," she finished, hooking pretty platinum behind her ear. "Take Woody with--"

"No, as much as the idea of him coming makes me happy, I need... a moment alone," I said, and to my surprise I actually meant it more than anything.

After going through what I'd experienced earlier, watching the unexpected familial abuse... I'd had some pretty intense flashbacks. Memories I'd thought had been long buried were under the surface, writhing like maggots.

I shivered, shaking myself free of that thought, and even though Woody only looked at me I felt my face soften beneath his unasked concern.

"I'm fine," I said, even as I headed for the door. "I'll be back in a few minutes, I promise. I just need to go for a walk, clear my head, and hug Sebastian. Okay?"

"Gotcha, go for it," Tiffany said, and much to my surprise she looked serious. "I may not fully know what's going on here but I can tell you need a break. You've got that look on your face again... you know, the one you always make when you're depressed."

"Depressed?" Horst snorted, face scrunching and ears bobbing as he peered at me. "Nah, he looks more like he's constipated."

I let out a small laugh. "Not to brag, but I haven't been constipated in decades."

Horst seemed confused until those eyes lit up with remembrance and realization. "Oh... ew."

"Yup, I don't eat solid food," I whispered mischievously, and he groaned, making a face, which in turn made me laugh a little harder. "Hey, you started it."

Horst threw a pillow at me in retaliation; it hit me in the face and harmlessly fell to the floor. I smiled at him when he stuck his tongue out and turned back to Tiffany, saying something about water-powered vehicles turning into hover-crafts at some point.

I didn't pay it much attention and slipped out of the room with one last look at Woody, who was staring at me intensely, brows drawn together in a suspicious way. I didn't bother trying to pretend I was okay. In fact, I merely stepped out of the movie room and slinked down the hall with my eyes on the grey carpet.

Something just wasn't sitting well with me. The meeting was still stagnant, neither of them had returned, I'd gotten into a huge fight with Jak, the alpha leader, and Sebastian's eyes as he'd left... his posture...