Chapter 7

Neji treated Link's wounds with some medical herbs he had stored in his pouch

Neji treated Link's wounds with some medical herbs he had stored in his pouch. Link stared in amazement, watching him apply the herbs and bandages on so effortlessly.

Link gave him a small smile. "I assume you do this often?"

Neji put the last bandage on, scratching the back of his head while laughing. "Yeah... I tend to hurt myself a lot."

Noticing many scars on Neji's hands and arms, Link averted his eyes. "So... Are you from around here?"

Neji shook his head. "Nope. I came from a faraway land. I had to leave under... Reasons I rather not talk about right now. Sorry."

"It's fine. If it's personal, then you don't need to tell it to a stranger like me."

Neji lowered his eyes. "I was hoping that... That we could be friends."

Link shook his head, turning his back to him. "I only stayed with you so you could treat my wounds. I don't see any other reason for me to stay with you any longer."

As soon as Link took his first step, Neji grabbed a hold of his cloak. "Wait! I..."

Link let out a sigh. "What is it now?"

"I..." Neji's eyes started wavering. "I have no place to go, and you're the first person I've talked to since coming here, sad as that sounds. I know that you stayed longer for me to treat your wounds, but can I stay with you just a bit longer?"

Neji was giving him persuasive puppy dog eyes, making it hard for him to say no. Feeling defeated, Link closed his eyes while letting out a sigh. "I was going to stay the night anyway. You might as well tag along."

Neji's eyes sparkled. "Thank you, Mr. Link!"

Link couldn't help but chuckle. "You really act your age, kid."

Neji pouted with his lower lip. "For your information, I'm 14."

"Sounds like a kid to me."

"Quit calling me a kid! I'm a grown up just like you!"

"Whatever you say." Link looked down at his hand, staring at the Fierce Deity Mask. "I have to make a pit stop. Some freak wanted me to find this mask for him. I might as well give it to him, so I can get it off my back." And the reward of 5,000 rupees sounded good right about now.

"You mean the Happy Mask Salesman?"

"You know him?"

"Kind of. I keep my distance from him. That guy gives me the creeps."

"You and me both. If you're sticking with me for now, you'll have to deal with him for a bit. It won't take long."

"Fine..." Neji's stomach began to growl, making him blush in embarrassment. "Do you mind if we grab something to eat soon?"