Debate Drama

It's so juicy all the fruits of the world are jealous...

"Let's get started class." 

Sophie perked. English class seldom came to attention, and when it did, usually something either torturous or awesome happened. She hoped it was the latter. 

"Today we're going to begin the first of a series of impromptu speeches and debates, to help your skills grow in public speaking and thinking on your feet. 

Sophie gulped. She hated being at the center of attention. 

 However, most of her friends were in this class, so surely it wouldn't be that bad. In fact, everyone in her friend group was present, since it was a unique combo English class Foxfire offered.  

"The first pair will be..." 

"Wait!" Stina raised her hand. 

"Yes?" The teacher asked, resigned. Stina argued with the teacher on a regular basis. 

"Can the students make up the topic they have to debate?" 

The teacher looked thoughtful. "Actually, that's a good idea. It'll make the debates more relevant. Good idea Stina." 

Stina preened. Sophie saw Dex cross his eyes from across the room. Biana stuck her tongue out, while Keefe imitated Stina, who was fluffing her hair. 

The teacher passes out flash cards to write down debate topics. Sophie considered what to write. 

She scanned the room, her eyes landing on Linh's cheery face. She scrawled out: Band members should be able to leave their instruments at school. After the incident where Linh had dropped her instrument in the middle of the hallway, Sophie had been told that the band teacher forbid the students to keep their stuff in the room after class, because she didn't want to be "responsible." Which didn't make sense in the first place, since the band room had fully functioning locks and security. Most teachers let the band kids leave their instruments in the back, however, so life was manageable. But not great. 

Sophie handed in her sticky note, hoping it might actually help poor Linh. 

"Alright class, wrap it up, we need to begin." 

The last couple of students finished writing and turned them in. The teacher looked like she was going to censor them before the debates, which was a very good idea. However, Stina thwarted her plan. 

"We should begin right now. I calculate if every round takes about three minutes, everyone will be able to squeeze into this period." Stina called out. Sophie was sitting close enough to hear the teacher mumbling under her breath. 

It looked like Stina had somehow persuaded a handful of students to support her, because the clump sitting around her mumbled their agreement enthusiastically. 

The teacher laughed. "Okay! I had no idea debate was such a hot topic." 

Stina emitted a smile that could've given chills to a penguin. 

"Let's see... how about Dex and Tam." 

Tam's face was impassive, while Dex's showed nervousness. They both were beckoned to the front of the class. The teacher pulled a folded sticky note from the pile on her desk. 

"Debate about whether dogs are better than cats. Tam, you'll take the dogs' side and Dex will take the cats'. Begin." 

Dex fidgeted with his fingers. "Well, cats are obviously better than dogs, because they're independent. They clean themselves, they can hunt, and um, they have claws."