Back to School

...beep...beep...BEEP!..BEEP!!!

Sophie's dream was shattered by her alarm clock, who never showed her mercy. 

"No, no nooo!" She wailed, flopping to turn it off. She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping this was all some terrible nightmare. 

But it wasn't. 

"Sophie, breakfast is almost ready! Are you up?" Her mom asked from outside her room. 

"Yeh.. Yeah Mom!" Sophie replied, struggling to find the words. 

She made it out of bed, shuffling to the closet. As she opened it, memories of school slapped bombarded her like a slap in the face. 

"Hmm, now what to wear?" Sophie mumbled. As she went through her well memorized routine, Sophie's mind wandered. She hoped this semester would be better than the last, although the previous one hadn't been too bad. In fact, the whole year hadn't been bad at all. She'd gotten her driver's permit, she'd gotten a job, and managed to pass math. Not too shabby. If the new year was like the last, surely it would be fine. New Year's...

Sophie's memory of New Year's Eve replayed itself in her head, like it had done for the past few days. Especially the moment the clock struck twelve. 

Keefe pulled back from the kiss, smiling in an endearing way that almost look shy. His warmth sharply contrasted with the biting cold air, making Sophie want to snuggle next to him even closer than they were.  

Sophie shook her head, dispelling the memory from her mind. She couldn't think of that right now, or she would never muster the courage to go to school. Because after they'd kissed, Sophie had left, and had been avoiding him ever since. You'd think that avoiding your neighbor would be hard, but Sophie had managed to stay inside and hidden from him. She knew that he'd stopped by a few times, but had told her parents to tell him that she was "busy."  

I'm so pathetic, she thought, finishing her routine. Sophie continued going through the motions, but her mind wasn't present. 

                                                                                               *** 

She arrived right as the bell rang on purpose, so she wouldn't have to see Keefe. She didn't have any classes with him until right before lunch, so she was at least safe for the time being. 

She sat down in English class, waving to a couple people that greeted her. From across the room. Class started out as usual; same talk, different subject. Sophie caught Fitz's gaze. He grinned at her an pantomimed falling asleep. Sophie laughed, shaking her head a fraction. 

The rest of her classes passed way too fast for her liking, until it was time for math with Keefe. Thoughts whirled like a flurry through her head. Will he be awkward with me? Was it as big of a deal for him as it was for me? What if it meant nothing?

Sophie absentmindedly sat down in a seat. She hung her backpack behind her seat (like she's done since elementary school) and took out her notebook. 

"Hey Foster." 

The words caused goose bumps to raise on Sophie's skin. Time for my reckoning... 

"Hey Keefe." Sophie replied, finally looking up at him. He smirked at her. 

"I never got to talk to you after New Year's-" 

"Look," Sophie began. "I really don't see why we need to talk about it. It was just some silly New Year's tradition." 

"Oh." 

Sophie forced a laugh. "Actually, I'd completely forgotten about that until you brought it up."