Back to Foxfire

Yeah! Welcome back to school everyone! Hope you've had a good summer!

 If you guys are new, make sure to check out my two other books that precede this one (New Girl and Summer with the Crew). I mean, you could read this one without reading the others, but sometimes I refer to events that happened in the last books. Anyway, with that said, enjoy!

"I can't believe this is my senior year." Fitz said.

"I can't either. I can't even imagine not having you and Keefe on campus." Sophie sighed, finally looking into Fitz's eyes. He gave her a small smile, teal eyes sending a jolt of electricity through her body. 

"I guess we'll have to make this the best year ever then." Fitz replied playfully, nudging Sophie's arm. 

"How?" Sophie asked, playing along, butterflies rioting in her stomach. 

"Well," Fitz said, getting closer. Sophie's stomach somersaulted. 

                                                           ***12 hours earlier***

"Sophie! Time to get up." Edaline, Sophie's mother, spoke. She gently prodded her until Sophie sat up. Sophie rubbed her eyes blearily as Edaline walked out of her room. 

"NOOOO!" Sophie feebly cried. "I swear I just started summer yesterday!" 

Sophie took many calming breaths. 

"Okay." Sophie said to herself. "This is the beginning of an awesome new school year, my friends and I are going to have an amazing time, and I'll finally conquer math." Sophie knew she couldn't even pretend the last part was true, even in her dreams. 

"And if I have to go to school," she continued. "I'm going kick butt so hard no one will show up the next day." She nodded to herself, looking at her reflection. Sophie had chosen white jeans paired with a rose colored top. Her hair curled softly from the braids she'd slept in through the night. A little bit of makeup, and I'll be set.

Sophie moved to her pathetic vanity, where her even more pathetic collection of makeup sat. 

"Hey Vertina." Sophie said, patting the side of the vanity. She'd named her vanity when she'd been younger, imagining it was a magic mirror that gave her beauty advice. If only.

"So, what should my makeup be Vertina?" Sophie asked. 

"You're right, gold eye shadow would be bomb." she answered herself. 

                                                       *a few makeup wipes later* 

Sophie jumped down the stairs and rushed through her breakfast. 

"What's the rush? Cinnamon rolls shouldn't be wolfed down you know." Her mom cautioned. 

"I'm meeting Dex at the street corner next to school, and I'm supposed to be there in ten minutes." 

Her mom nodded sagely. 

Sophie ran towards the door, stopping short to thank her mom for breakfast before heading out. 

                                                                                *** 

"What took so long?" Dex asked as Sophie arrived. 

"Good to see you too. I can't exactly run without ruining my curls. You know I only curl for special occasions." 

"Ahh." Dex answered. They walked the rest of the way in nervous silence. At last, they reached Foxfire's grand lawn, students and parents all making their way to the main auditorium. Dex and Sophie joined the mass.