The Narrative of Sophie Foster

One day Sophie decided to go on an adventure. She had always wanted to go to the circus, but her family was too poor.  

"That's so sad! Why can't she have a happy family?" Biana whispered loudly, reading over Dex's shoulder. Dex looked up from notebook. 

"All good stories come out of tragedy." He said solemnly. 

Sophie's friend group had all ended up in detention after being roped in to one of Keefe's plots. Their sentence would last for every day after school. Fitz had suggested that they all write a story together during detention. Keefe, of course, was not allowed to join. 

Sophie glanced over at Keefe, who was sitting in the corner, exiled from the group. He gave her the saddest look she'd ever seen. 

"Don't look at him." Linh growled. Even Linh was angry. 

Biana grabbed the book from Dex. 

Sophie skipped to the circus. 

"Hello!" A cute boy, who was greeting for the circus, called. 

"Hi!" Sophie called back sweetly. The boy had beautiful electric blue eyes that looked as if they held the sea. His waves of dark hair blew in the wind as-" 

"Biana! What are you doing?" Sophie asked, noticing Biana's smug smile. 

"Nothing. Just let me finish my page." She whispered back. Sophie nodded reluctantly. 

...hair blew in the wind as clouds skittered across the sky. What a beautiful day to be alive. The boy came towards Sophie. 

"You can have entrance for free, if only you tell me your name." He said, his smile like the sun's warm rays. 

"I'm Sophie. What's your name?" Sophie asked. 

"My name's-" 

"You better not put my name there." Tam growled. Biana leaned over the notebook. 

"Good idea!" 

"Don't you dare!" 

"Fiiiine. It's Fitz's turn anyway." Biana muttered. Fitz's eyes danced over the story, his eyebrows coming together in confusion. 

"Do you know what this is about Sophie?" He asked. 

"No. I'm going to be the last the get it, remember? Why?" Sophie asked. 

"No reason." Fitz said quickly. A secret smile alighted on Biana's face. Fitz began to write. 

"My name's a secret. A witch cast a spell on me so that if anyone said my name to me out loud, I would die. " he whispered. Sophie's brown eyes grew wide. 

"Really?" 

"Yes. Only the circus master knows my name. And that's because he's my father."   

"Well that's stupid." Marella commented. Fitz ignored her and continued to write.

Sophie nodded, and the boy waved goodbye. She watched the circus happily and saw many things she'd never seen. 

Tam grabbed the notebook and read it through. He smiled, which made Sophie a little nervous. He wrote swiftly. 

Sophie walked to the dressing rooms. She found a door titled "Director" and knocked. 

"Come in." Said a baritone voice. Sophie walked in and saw a portly man with a patched top hat. She took out a butter knife from her shirt and held it up to the man's throat. 

"What is the name of the boy with the creepy eyes?' Sophie snarled. The old man choked. Sophie pressed the blunt knife to the man's throat. 

"The boy's name is...Dorcas." He said, coughing. Sophie nodded and ran away like a wraith. She found Dorcas by the exit of the circus. 

"Hello Sophie!" He said. 

"Hello...Dorcas." She replied. He gasped, and his eyes glazed over. He fell down, dead as a door nail. 

"I never did get that saying." Dex commented. Tam shrugged, handing it to Linh. 

Linh gasped. "Tam! You morbid human being!" She yelled. 

"Quiet back there." The teacher warned. Linh put her hands over her mouth. Keefe looked over curiously at Sophie, who shrugged in response. Meanwhile, Linh wrote. 

Sophie's eyes widened, because she knew that the witch had made her do this horrible deed. 

"No! Dorcas wake up!" She pleaded. She knelt beside him, cradling his limp body. 

Sophie kissed him with True Love's Kiss. 

Marella grabbed the notebook. "What? They didn't even have a romance!" 

"I'm not sure if I want to know what's happening." Sophie said. 

"Nah, you really don't." Dex replied. 

Marella scribbled. 

Dorcas woke up. 

"I'm so sorry! The witch-" 

"I know." Dorcas said. They got up from where they were huddled. 

"There's only one thing we can do now." Dorcas said grimly, blue eyes flying with sparks. 

"What?" Sophie asked. 

"Find the witch." He said. 

Sophie grabbed the notebook and read it. Her face displayed variations of red. 

"It's like watching a chameleon that only turns shades of red." Dex whispered. Fitz elbowed him. 

"You're dismissed." The teacher announced.  

"Wha?" Sophie began. 

To be continued... 

I was going to make this a chapter about Sophie celebrating the First day of Fall (which was yesterday), but it wasn't super good, so I started over. How'd you like it? I thought it was a nice change from the other chapters I've been writing. 

Question of the Week: Have you ever written a story with someone else? If so, how'd it turn out? 

I once wrote a book during 6th grade with my friend. It ended up being about this poor guy who lived on an island in the Pacific that had really bad luck (he got burned by lava and was bullied because he had different sized hands). He got off the island by riding on a fish to the mainland and broke out an alien monkey named Sulfur (who happens to be yellow) from Area 51. Yeah, it was pretty great. We started a sequel about him going to Sulfur's planet, but we never finished it. I think it's in my closet...