The Narrative of Sophie Foster pt. 2

"You know, for once I'm glad to be in detention." Dex said. Sophie and her group filled up the row around him. 

"Well, maybe if you don't have a life. I have stuff to do." Marella grumbled. Sophie took out the notebook from her backpack. 

"Okay, I'm starting first this time." Sophie announced. Keefe wandered over to their table. 

"Hey guys, I'm sorry for getting you in trouble." 

Biana, Marella, and Dex glared at him while Fitz and Tam rolled their eyes. Linh looked disappointed, which was as angry as she could get. 

"Aw, c'mon. You knew it was a risk." Keefe went on. "Foster?" 

Sophie flipped open the notebook. "I don't know what to say." She said, keeping her eyes on the notebook and avoiding his gaze. 

The bell rang. 

"In your seats please." the teacher announced. Faster than lightning, Keefe snatched the notebook from Sophie's limp hands. Sophie gasped, but he was already sitting down in his seat, fumbling through his backpack. 

"Hey! Keefe just stole Sophie's notebook!" Biana called to the teacher. The teacher looked up, annoyed. 

"Keefe, did you steal Ms. Foster's notebook?" He said tiredly.

"No, this is mine." Keefe replied, holding up a different notebook than the one he had stolen from Sophie. The teacher walked across to examine it. After a quick look, he glared at Biana. 

"Detention is not the place for false accusations Ms. Vacker." 

Biana sighed loudly. Sophie glared at Keefe until he looked up... from her notebook. Keefe looked unabashed back at her and winked. 

Sophie made a frustrated noise in her throat. Dex passed her a crumpled piece of paper with hangman on it. Your turn he had scrawled at the bottom. 

This was going to be a long detention. 

                                                                           *** 

As soon as the bell rang, Sophie ad her friends mobbed towards Keefe, who leapt out of their grasp and fled through the door. Biana picked up Sophie's notebook, which he had left on the desk, and thumbed through it. 

"He wrote in it." She said bitterly, walking with the rest of the group out the door. 

"Read what he wrote." Linh suggested. "We can sit down on the grass outside if it's long." 

"It's very long." Biana affirmed. The group made their way out to the grass in front of Foxfire, where they set down their bags. 

Biana began, reading the last few lines they had previously read as a recap.

"There's only one thing we can do now." Dorcas said grimly, blue eyes flying with sparks.

"What?" Sophie asked.

"Find the witch." He said.  

"Okay, this is Keefe's work now."

Sophie met Dorcas outside the circus tents. Dorcas hefted a bag on his back. 

"What's in the bag?" Sophie asked. 

"Presents for the witch." Dorcas said, teal eyes gleaming. 

"I don't remember Dorcas having teal eyes." Dex muttered. 

Sophie and Dorcas traveled until they couldn't step any further. They found a small village with an inn, where they decided they would stay.