Chapter 53

"What the hell just happened here tonight" he said looking out at the star filled skies.

"The truth" whispered the voice behind him.

"Why didn't you tell me" he asked.

"Because,  you can't  handle the truth" they replied.

"Oh, you did not just make that reference " he retorted sarcastically.

"You have to admit that's a great line" came their response.

"Enough with the games, this is serious" he responded, losing his patients even more.

"Adam, calm down. No damage has been done" they said.

"What do you mean no damage has been done. Did you not see what happened tonight..my best friend's wife....wait, you knew...you always know" he spoke with anger.

"You know the rules, we can't tell you..it's all part of your work" they reminded him.

"My work, you keep telling me my work. So far I have done nothing productive but to cause pain for those that mean the most to me. And now this, this whatever it is, that's not my doing" Chance replied, making his way to the liquor bottle on the table.

"You're going to regret it tomorrow if you take another shot of that stuff" they told him.

"Do I look like I give a rats ass how I'm gonna feel tomorrow? What about Tim, how is he going to feel, how does he feel right now after what his wife, the woman YOU pushed me to convince him was brought to him to get over you, how is he going to feel" he retorted before throwing down the shot of Tequila.

"Do you have feelings for her....have you ever?" they asked.

"You tell me, you know all, what do you think" he demanded throwing back another shot.

****
Tim looked at her, sprawled across their bed, sound asleep. He shook his head as he covered her up then kissed her head before stepping outside to the front porch. He couldn't bring himself to sit out back, the vision still vivid in his mind. He was embarrassed, confused even angry by what she had done. Was it the alcohol, was it how she truly felt, or both. Either way he couldn't face anyone right now. All he had done, for her..the weight loss, no drinking, giving her anything whether she asked for it or not...and then his best friend, the man he would do absolutely anything for..was there something between them, had there been in the past. Questions kept flowing through his mind, desperately trying to piece anything together from the past five years that would give him answers to those questions. He did the only thing he could do, he called Heather.

****

"So, tell me...." Chance demanded.

"Son, why don't you go sleep this off. We'll discuss this tomorrow, when you're thinking clearly" he told him.

"No damn it ... I want her to answer me. I know what the truth is, I want to know IF she knows as much as she claims" he yelled.

With one swoop in front of his face, Chance collapsed into the other's arms and was led to his bed. Tossing a blanket over him, they exited through the window to the large tree in the field.

"You're going to drive him crazy with all the secrecy, you know that" he told her.

"You know the rules, he has to figure everything out himself. We can only allow so much to happen, he needs to be more inquisitive" she reminded him.