Chapter 37

Tim stared out over the moonlit sea, waiting for something, anything from the crew when his phone vibrated in his pocket. With a lump in his throat, fearing the worst he touched the screen. Letting out a heavy sigh, he saw the familiar face..Jenika.

"Hey, baby" he whispered answering the call. He filled her in on everything thus far. She could tell by the tone of his voice how concerned he was about everyone.
She tried to reassure him they would find him. That Jake, Adam and Austin would return without harm but he just couldn't shake the nagging feeling in his gut.

"How's Maggie, she doing alright?" he asked, trying to focus on her instead of his thoughts.

"She's ok, actually I think she's doing better knowing y'all are down there looking" she replied.

"Yeah, I'm not any help though" he replied solmnly.

"Yes, you are. Even if you're not with the others, you're the link to his family to keep us all informed and to help Rob while we all wait" she told him.

Tim glanced over at Rob talking with Kelsey. She was right, as she usually was. He was exactly where and doing what he was supposed to be at that time, he was helping his brother. Giving a slight smile as Rob glanced up he merely said, " yea Darlin, you're right".

They spoke a few minutes more before ending the call. His head hurting, not knowing if it was stress or the fractured nose, he made himself as comfortable as possible on one of the cots the captain supplied for them. Leaning back, closing his eyes, he prayed for his brothers for a safe and quick rescue.

****
"Can you see anything along the shore?" Austin radioed to the pilot. Adam sat behind the flight crew, binoculars to his eyes, scanning the shoreline for something, anything. They had been in the area of the nature preserve for several hours using night vision goggles, handheld spotlights as they sat on each open side of the chopper, constantly on the lookout for debris that would lead them to where Chance could be. As of yet, nothing.

Jake and Austin continued into the various inlets of the preserve while the other john boat trolled along some of the others. The patrol boat stayed a safe distance from the areas in constant radio contact with them and the flight crew. A few times the chopper crew would detect something moving with their heat sensing devices, directing the others to check the area below, only to find it to be an animal that resided in the preserve.

"Captain" the pilot radioed. Austin and Jake perked up, hoping that they'd finally found something.

"Go ahead Guard 1" Strain responded.

"Sir, we're going to have to head back to refuel. ETA back will be about 2" the pilot advised.

Strain acknowledged then advised the john boats to return to the patrol boat. "Why can't we continue looking, we're already out here" Austin all but pleaded.

"It's unsafe for you without the eyes in the sky. Return to the patrol boat immediately, we'll resume upon the return of the chopper " Strain advised.

"How long before they return?" Austin asked.

"Two hours, minimum" the captain replied. Austin shook his head and gave Jake a look. "Don't   even think about it" Jake stated as the other crew pulled along side.