Chapter 49

"Hey" he greeted walking in.

"Hey yourself. What's with the raccoon eyes" he asked, his voice still a bit raspy. From the expression on his face, he knew it had something to do with him. "Did I do that...again?"

"No...well not directly, anyway" Tim replied, sitting on the edge of the bed. Chance raised the head of his bed a bit more wanting to get a better look " broken?"

"Yup. So how you feeling" Tim replied, hoping to change the subject. He really didn't want to confess his snooping into Chance's diary, at least not yet.

"Better than I did a few days ago, or so I think from what they tell me. It's all still kind of a blur" he answered looking at the IV still in the back of his hand.

Tim wanted to ask him why, what had possessed him to come to Alabama, especially not telling anyone when he left. He couldn't help but worry about his mental state, thinking about the conversation he'd had with Adam.
He was just about to ask when Heather entered the room carrying Callie.

"Hi Uncle Chance" the child greeted while waving to him.

"Hey Baby Girl " he smiled holding his arms out to take her. Tim moved off the bed so Callie could talk to her favorite uncle. "Okay if I sit with you" she asked him, climbing up in his lap.

"Be careful sweetie" Heather reminded her as she made herself comfortable in front of him.

Taking his face in her two little hands, she rubbed along his scruffy beard "How are you feeling" she asked with a giggle.

"Much better now that you are here" he chuckled taking ahold of her hands while she ran them through his beard.

"See, Momma. I told you I could make him laugh and feel better" never taking her eyes off his.

Tim smiled watching the interaction between the two, he could see the look in Chance's eyes, he loved her like his own.

"Did you see my pictures Uncle Chance" she asked, still playing with his beard.

Chance looked at Heather, "Pictures?" he asked.

"Uh huh...I drew pictures like they told me, then Daddy and Uncle Austin found you" Callie replied, patting his cheeks.

Heather nodded, her fingers covering her mouth, tears welled up in her eyes. Chance furrowed his brow " who told you, baby" he asked.

"Papa told me...and Ms. Caroline" she smiled, then wrapped her arms around his neck as he looked between Heather and Tim. He mouthed to them "how?".

Heather walked over, taking Callie from Chance. "Baby, let's go find Mimi and let Uncle Chance get some rest. He's still a little tired".

"Okay, I see you later Uncle Chance. I love you" she waved as they walked towards the door.

Tim walked back over to the bed, "it's true" he told him, taking one of her pictures out of his back pocket. He gave the drawing to him "she said they told her you were going to be ok"

Chance looked at the drawing, amazed by what he saw. Looking up at Tim he stated, "the angel in the corner...that's ..."

Tim nodded, "Yes, that's Caroline. Exactly how she always wore her hair" he replied, his voice cracking a bit.

Since his near death experience,  Chance had the ability to see and hear their voices but hadn't had much contact with them since the surgery and Caroline convincing Tim that it was ok to love again. But how could Callie know, how could she see them. He looked at Tim, bewildered by what he'd been saying.

"She told your Mom and Heather that they visit her when she's sleeping or if she's coloring, they tell her what to draw. Chance, there are several pictures about what happened to you. The boat, the storm, where we would find you. You're alive because of that beautiful child ".

Chance looked at the picture again, tears streaming down his face. He still had no idea what his unfinished work was, but he now knew Callie's.