Chapter 35

Austin took it upon himself to contact the coast guard station on Dauphin Island, his uncle having given him the name of a good friend that was stationed there, hoping he could assist them in finding Chance.

"Guys, you ready?" Austin asked, walking back into the kitchen.

They all looked up with questionable looks. "Ready?...for?" Rob asked.

"To go find Chance. I contacted the Dauphin Island station, they're waiting for us and said to bring any pertinent information we had about him" Austin replied, waving for them all to get up and follow him.

"Hold up a second. You mean to tell me all you did was call them and they said come on down" Jake questioned.

"Yeah....course it helped to have a connection" he smiled.

"Connection? How, better yet, who ?" Tim asked.

"Just so happens my Uncle knows the Captain. He's the son of an old college classmate. When Jenika told us about Dauphin Island, I remembered him talking about him. Uncle's been there quite a bit,  working with some of the wildlife in the nature preserve that needed medical attention. So after speaking with him, I contacted the station. He's expecting us tonight" Austin explained.

Marcus listened to all that was being said, he didn't feel it was a good idea for all of them to head down, especially Maggie. Not knowing if or when they may find Chance, or the condition he may be in, he just wanted to shield her from what they may find for as long as he could. Maggie looked across at him, she knew by his expression he had no intention of wanting her to go, but also knew he wouldn't stop her if she did. For whatever reason, she felt something perhaps someone telling her to stay put, for now.

"Well, then let's get going" Jenika stated, attempting to stand as Tim pulled her back down. "Oh no you don't mister. Don't you think for one minute you're keeping me from going" she barked, looking straight into his eyes.

Tim knew her connection, loved her dedication to her friend but he felt she would be more helpful staying behind. "Baby, come with me for a minute, please" Tim asked, now taking her hand as he stood.

Tim led Jenika out to the back patio, turning to her taking both hands in his. "Darlin, you know that I would never tell you what to do. It's just, this time I think you're needed more here, you're stronger when the stress is high and keep everyone else calm. They need you to keep them calm, especially Maggie. She's taking medication to deal with this, she's not as strong as she appears. And Lord knows she needs all the help she can get when Heather goes off" he explained.

Jenika smiled, cupping her husband's face in her hands, "for you, for them, I will...this time.  Could you please not break anything else while you're gone" she replied gently against his lips.