Chapter 27

Tim sat in the recliner in his friends bedroom, a place he spent many days and nights when he suffered so much. This time was different, this time Tim was the one suffering, self loathing over why and what signals he missed to cause his friend to leave abruptly, yet again.

He had walked through the house, looking for something, anything that would give him the answers he searched for. As he sat in the chair, he stared at his hand, the hand that possibly held those answers he desperately needed. He vowed never to pry, snoop, search through anyone's personal space. As he fought the guilt rising inside, his phone rang, startling him, dropping the journal he'd found he quickly answered the phone.

"Tim?" asked Jake, not hearing a sound on the other end.

Tim tried to compose himself before answering "yeah, I'm here" he said breathlessly.

"You ok, you sound funny" Jake replied.

Tim lied and told him he had ran to the phone. "What's up, any news, did they find him?"

Jake brought him up to date, no signs in the gulf area and with the sun now setting they would resume searching again in the morning.

Tim let out the breath he was holding "Jake, its been two days. Where the hell is he, why isn't there anything being found. Why arent they doing more " he demanded.

"I know, I know Tim..we feel the same way, but they are the experts and have the resources, we have to wait for them" Jake replied.

"We're at their mercy, Jake. What if they say screw it, they're done..damn it, he's out there, I know he is" Tim replied with even more anger.

"Buddy, calm down. I believe he is too, we will find him, one way or another" Jake assured him.

****
Chance felt the cool breeze skim across his skin, waking him to find the fire had gone out. Rather than restart it he chose to climb back aboard the broken vessel for shelter. Remembering the phone in pieces on the deck, he gathered them quickly as the moon shone directly above. He looked to the skies, raising a brow "why did I not think of this before" he said aloud as he gazed at the stars above.

****
Maggie stood out on the patio, her arms wrapped around herself as she looked out towards the back fields. Marcus walked beside her, placing a sweater upon her shoulders. Maggie smiled slightly as she thanked him, leaning into him as he pulled her closer.

"We're going to find him, Maggie. Don't lose hope" he told her.

Maggie turned, leaning her back against his chest. Wrapping his arms around herself she nodded, "I keep looking at the pictures Calli draws, the things she says. The faith that child has...I know we will find him" she replied. Looking up at the stars above, a slight tear escaped her eye. She knew, he wasn't alone, they were still with him.