Chapter 36

Weak, sickened by the salty water and heat, Chance tried crawling back to the wreckage. Head pounding, his vision blurred he saw the nearby cabin. Standing as best he could, he stumbled then ran along the sandy beach til he reached the stoop, swinging open the door, only to collapse inside.

Laying face down, breathless he felt a hand upon his back, "Let me help you" a voice whispered in his ear as he succumbed to the dark silence surrounding him.

****
"You sure you can handle this type vessel" Captain Strain asked Austin as they stood around the table with the others.

"Absolutely, it's not much bigger than the john boat I've used in the swamps and lakes back in Georgia" he replied with a smile.

"I don't know Austin, lakes and swamps are one thing. We're talking the ocean here" Tim remarked, with Rob and Adam agreeing.

"If he's in the area of the nature preserve, this is the best way in, right " Austin asked Strain.

"It's our best bet. I'm not sending you in alone. We'll be searching from the sky, have another vessel with you and a patrol boat just along the shore. That way we can monitor the ocean conditions so we can bring him out safely" the Captain stated.

"Ya know, he's the first one to say that" Jake mentioned to Tim.

Tim hadn't given up on finding his friend, but reality kept reminding him...nearly five days no contact, no signs of anything...he just didn't want to get his hopes up.

Tim looked at Austin with concern. "Please, Timmy...I know what I'm doing, I got this...I...I have to" Austin told him. Tim nodded, clearing the thought that crept into his mind "we can't lose him too".

"Ok, so if you're ready, lets get packed up and head out" Strain advised.

"Now? It's after sunset, is it safe" Rob asked with apprehension.

"Yes sir, rescue missions are a twenty four hour need. The only time we alter our response is if it puts our personnel or the victims in danger" the captain answered.

"Seems dangerous to begin with" Rob commented as he watched the helicopter outside warming up.

"It's what we do, sir" the captain replied, grabbing his maps and backpack. "You coming? You can wait here if you'd rather".

Tim knew Rob would rather stay behind. The last time they searched for Chance had taken a toll on him, mentally. Going through this again, with even more uncertainty, undoubtedly had his mind reeling. "Rob, I'll stay here with you. I probably shouldn't be doing anything excessive with this broken nose anyway" he told his friend, putting his arm around his shoulder. "Thank you" he whispered.

"Ok guys, Jake and Austin, you have the most experience on the water so we'll put you two in the patrol boat until we can get to the islands to deploy the other vessels. Adam, we'll put you in the helicopter with the flight crew, you will be another set of eyes scanning from above" Strain instructed before turning towards Tim and Rob " Don't worry, we'll bring your friend back, I promise".

Tim and Rob watched as the others boarded. Austin turned towards them giving a two thumbs up as they began to pull away. "Lord, keep them all safe" he whispered holding Rob close.