Chapter 39

Tim couldn't rest, he felt useless not out searching for Chance. Rob had been able to fall back asleep so he decided to take a walk along the shore.

Alone he gazed out across the calm sea, 'I understand his need to be here, the ability it has to calm the most distressed soul. But what is it, what lured him back this time' he thought to himself.

****
Captain Strain and the others finally reached Port Eads around 4 am. After instructing Austin and Jake the area they would be searching with assistance of the chopper he sent the other guard vessel to the opposite side of the island. The sun would be rising soon and so would the tide. If he was anywhere near the shore they needed to find him before it did.

Austin eased the boat closer to shore, he and Jake calling out for Chance, hoping he would hear them. No response came despite their efforts, he continued to slowly troll along.

Adam sat strapped into the seat, the side door open next to him. He continued to scan with the binoculars the surface below. From the air the island appeared tiny, with open areas of sandy beach and thickened brush. So far no signs of any vessels, wreckage or buildings were seen in the area. His hope for finding his friend seemed to be dangling by a thread. Suddenly the pilot banked hard right as he radioed to the captain below.

"Sir, there appears to be some sort of object, a reflection below as we pass the spotlight over it. We are circling around to determine the origin" he advised through the headset Adam was wearing. He searched feverishly through the binoculars to find what they had seen, his pulse quickened as he too finally caught sight of it.

****
Tim watched as the sun started to peek over the horizon. The beginning of another day, without Chance. He closed his eyes as he leaned onto his arms resting on his knees. Silently he pleaded for guidance in finding him, regardless of his condition, so that his family could at least have closure.

"Do not lose hope, he is not alone" the voice whispered as he felt a presence nearby. 

Tim raised his head, quickly looking about for the person who had spoken, finding only Rob  walking towards him. "Any news " he asked.

"Nothing, Tim. What if...." his voice trailed off as he sat down next to him.

"We can't give in to defeat, Rob. You know damn well he'd be kicking our ass if he knew for even a split second we gave up. I have a feeling we're going to know something soon" he told him.

"I sure hope you're right" Rob replied as the sun rose in front of them.

****
"Guys...guys...what's that..you see that? Can we get closer?" Adam spoke excitedly into the headset.

Circling around, the pilot head in the direction Adam had pointed to. "Does that look like what I think it does" he asked.

"Guard 1 to Captain Strain" the pilot radioed. Austin and Jake stopped quickly to listen to what was being said on the radio.

"Go ahead Guard 1" replied the Captain.

"Sir, possible visual on debris on the lower south west side of the island. Going in closer for confirmation" advised the pilot.

"Received Guard 1. Coast Guard vessels return to the main patrol boat immediately" Captain Strain instructed.

Austin turned, heading back towards the main boat. "Jake, keep calling anyway, just in case that's not his boat. I couldn't live with myself if we hurried back only to leave him behind".

****
Chance stirred as the bright sunlight surround him in warmth. "Lord, please..." he muttered slowly.

Again he felt the hands on his shoulders...."Can you see the horizon, across the sea...listen, they are calling you...the ships have come, they've come to carry you home" whispered the voice,  stroking his forehead.

Chance sighed deeply, perhaps now he would be at peace.