MIDNIGHT MADNESS 6.

<<<<Chapter six>>>>

"Do you really know her?"

"Yes Mama." He replied and went further to remind her of one of his female close friend whom traveled to the city after she got admission to study theatre art in Niger Delta University, Bayelsa state.

"Is it Shona?" Mama asked.

"Yes. I think the Sonia you're talking about is her cousin."

"Oh..." Mama thought for awhile before she said, "well that's good. Do we have groundnut in this house? I want to drink garri."

"I think we do." Damien stood up and went inside the house to check the kitchen cupboards. He later came back outside with the bottle of groundnut in one hand and a small plate of garri on the other hand.

He offered mama and she uttered a 'thank you' before he went back inside the kitchen to fetch a cup of water for her.

"Are you not going to eat?" She asked him whilst studying him.

He shrugged. "Yes. The food won't be enough—" he was saying but she cut him off.

"I'm not complaining."

He knew she was worried and she was thinking his refusal to eat had something to do with his madness at nights, but it wasn't really that. He just wanted her to eat to her fill since the garri was small and it was the last one they had at home.

He went inside his room to rest and when he came out, he found Mama resting in the living room couch.

"Mama I'm going to Aunty Ennio's. She sent for me." he announced and off he went.

He helped Aunty Ennio to do her house chores since Raul was too much of a pain in the ass to do anything. All he does is drink, smoke, party and play PlayStation games.

Mama was sleeping peacefully in her room when she heard that familiar scream again that made her to jerk up from her bed. She checked her wrist watch to see it was exactly '12:00' o'clock.

Mama closed her eyes and shook her head bitterly, "Not again." She whispered and rushed to his room.

For every month that passed, it seems like his midnight madness only grew worse.

Damien was greatly anguished with every passing day. He would think and cry in his bedroom.

It got to a time that he couldn't take it no more and he tried to commit suicide. if it wasn't that mama saw him on time, he would have been a dead meat.

"Why me?" He would ask himself but there was no answer to his question.

"Why did God create me if he only wanted me to suffer this much?" He would lament and cuss himself. The pain he was feeling was something he couldn't explain.

It was like a knife was constantly stabbing his heart. All he wanted to do was to die.

People were scared of him. No one was willing to give him a job. People ran away from him whenever he walks past. People no longer interacted with him no more and even if they wanted to, they'd make mockery and jest of him.

He was no longer the 'village good boy' but now the 'mad village boy'.

It felt so painful as Dami couldn't figure out what was really wrong with him. Mama took him to the hospital and the doctors said he was perfectly fine. This worried Mama.