MIDNIGHT MADNESS 5.

<<<Chapter Five.>>>

They all turned with shock to look at her. Their eyes were wide to the extent that Mama thought it would expand if they continue to widen it.

"Your son?" Mama albert asked. She was shocked that she'd been gossiping about Dami not knowing that his mother was listening. She never thought for once that Mama was Dami's mother because she's always heard of 'dami the good boy' but have not come across him or his mother yet, she had lots of things to say about them.

"I'm sure you don't have ear problems." Mama told her.

The women, except the third party, scratched their cheek or head as they thought of an excuse to give. It felt like they were caught red handed stealing meat from the pot of soup.

"Why do you always gossip about things you know nothing about?" Mama asked further seeing that her questions was giving them hard time to answer because they were guilty.

"Em..em" Mama Albert stammered and then suddenly pointed at the first woman "It was Mama Abby that brought up the topic not me." she excluded her self quickly.

Mama was about to say something but the third party beat her to it.

"Mama Albert, even if it was Mama Abby that brought up the topic, why didn't you stop the conversation immediately it started? Of course you won't because the both of you are gossip mongers. Partners in crime but now you want to exclude yourself because you have been caught red handedly." the third woman laughed lightly, slowly clapping her hands together. "See you cannot lie oh, because Dami's mother here has been listening to all the things you guys said about her son. Ha! The poor boy, I pity him." the third woman kept talking while everyone listened to her, including mama.

By now their small talk had started drawing the attentions of passerbys or fellow marketers. Some people just wanted to listen so they would have topic to discuss and laugh about again. Nevertheless, the third party woman continued while demonstrating with her hands.

"It is so sad how people are quick to criticize you. Totally forgetting about the things you've done for them before. Dami has always been a good and hardworking boy and instead of you to find a solution to this sudden madness matter, you sit down here and gossip about him. Why can't y'all mind your business and sell your stuffs? Later you will say there's no buyer when all you do is carry other people's loads on your heads."

"Ha! That is too loud na, Sonia." someone shouted amongst the people listening.

Now mama got to know that the third party's name was 'Sonia'. She wasn't called mama this or mama that so Mama Dami was certain that she was Single. Mama also noticed that Sonia looked younger and prettier than the other two women.

"Loud it!" another person in the midst of the small crowd, who was in support of Sonia, encouraged.

"Don't mind them my sister, talk as you like. They deserve it. If possible insult them. They gossip too much." this time, Mama got to see it was a young boy among their midst that said that. The older women glared at him but he didn't care.

"Why not talk about the times Dami was helping you? like the times he helped you to fetch water, clear grasses for you, work on your farms, sweep your compound or do your home chores when your kids were too stubborn to do it their selves?" Now Miss Sonia was not only talking to the two women but also to everyone that was watching.

"I cannot say bad things about Dami because he has helped me more than twice in my house and he is a good example to my siblings. If something bad happens to him, it should be our duty as elders of this village to console his mother. Give her an helping hand or better still, find a way to solve the matter." she adviced.

"I'll stop gossiping about him." a little girl said. This made mama to smile.

"And why should we stop saying bad things about him?" Sonia asked.

"Because we love him." an elderly man shouted.

Mama did not know when a tear slipped out of her eyes.

"We love him. We love Dami." another person shouted.

"Then if you love him, show it. Pray for him. Say no to rumor. Say no to gossip." Sonia said. She sounded like a teacher.

And everyone started clapping for her including mama. Mama was happy that at least there were still good people in the village. It made her heart to be joyful as she hugged Sonia.

"Thank you, my daughter." mama whispered into her ear.

Mama kept on smiling as she walked home. She blessed Sonia for talking sense into the villagers head.

"Dami." Mama was surprised to see him in the house that early because he always comes home late after so many works he had to do.

Now seeing him sitting on the verandah, she couldn't help but ask why.

"People refused to give me work to do." He answered wearily.

Mama didn't ask why because she knew the answer already and she wouldn't want Dami to start thinking about it.

"It was only Mr. Peter that was kind enough to give me something to do." He added, seeing that mama was quiet but when he said that, she smiled.

"Mom. You have been smiling since you came. Any good news?" He asked her. He was smiling too cause her smile was contagious.

"I'm just thinking about this lady I met at the market." Mama said and Dami took interest.

"What about her?" He asked.

Mama hesitated at first because she knew telling him about Sonia meant telling him about the full story as well but she told him anyways.

"She spoke so well of you and shunned everybody that had bad things to say about you." Mama explained. "People said you were taking drugs in secret but when Sonia spoke, she reminded them of all the good deeds you've done for them and they forgot about the negative things they've said about you instantly."

Mama went ahead to describe how beautiful this Sonia was.

Dami wondered for sometime. "I think I know this Sonia you're talking about."

•••°•°•••

Thank you for reading..
Please vote and comment thanks ❤