Chapter 28

Leigh entered her apartment with a smile on her face. She could not help but hum to herself as she thought of how marvellous that kiss was. Jesy's lips aren't little and cute anymore but they're more . . . She squealed softly as she advanced into the room. The song she was humming was 'Thinking out loud' by Ed Sheeran. It's funny that at a certain point in my life I couldn't even listen to it.

But now it was the number one song in her heart.

Leigh went skipping up to her room but the smell of food cooking caught her attention. Um . . .

"Oh Lee-Lee."

Leigh jumped out of her skin with a shriek. She turned her body in the direction of the kitchen and saw that her mum was in there, wide awake and preparing what seemed to be their lunch for today. Shit. How did I not notice that the lights were on!?? She was on the verge of tears here. What if she saw us kissing and she's going to confront me??? "H-hi . . . M-mum . . ." She swallowed thick.

Debbie turned to face her daughter with a spatula in hand. She looked rather pleasant and was still dressed in pyjamas. The only thing odd was that she had an apron over it. "You're back."

Leigh felt a brick in her throat. "Y-yes . . . I-I am . . ."

"Darling don't stay all the way over there. Come in."

Leigh was petrified. She knows, she knows . . . She kept chanting this in her head. The girl walked in further anyway.

Ms. Pinnock lowered the fire under the food to walk up to her daughter. "I probably smell a little greasy but it doesn't mean that we can't share a hug." She opened up her arms.

Leigh hugged her mum and let her squeeze her. She felt a kiss on her forehead and then her cheek. "Good morning Mum."

"Morning Lee-Lee."

Leigh wondered if her mom was somehow not wondering where she had been this whole time. "Should I start preparing breakfast then? I see you've got lunch going."

"Oh yes you should but I think that you might want to dress down a little bit before you start that. Ooo I like your hat darling. Did you always have this one?" She patted Leigh on the head.

Leigh-Anne wanted to scream. She's pointing out the oddities which means that she knows! "Oh yes Mum. I've always had this one." She pulled it off and stroked it in her palm. "Nice and soft. . . ."

"Hmmm alright then." Her mum shrugged then started stroking at some of her hair. "Where were you all of this time though Leigh? I woke up quite early for a glass of water and just happened to check up on you only to see that you were nowhere to be seen. I'd become extremely worried about you dear. And I couldn't even track you like I did last time since you'd left your phone on your dresser." She pouted. "I felt as if you'd run away from me sweetheart."

Leigh felt bad now. Her shoulders fell as she watched her mom's sad face. "Mum . . . I'm sorry. I'd never do that."

"Are you sure?"

"Mhmm." Leigh nodded. "I'd just gone a bit of distance away to clear my head."

"And why's that?"

Leigh rubbed at her arm. "I . . . the whole moving thing and everything that led up to it has got me a little bit tense." She remembered throwing rocks into the sea and then sitting down to talk to Jesy. That had felt good. "I feel better now though."

The mother looked skeptical of her.

Leigh folded her lips together.

"Where had you gone?"