Chapter One: Flicker - Backstory

Let's start with a quick backstory. So a few months ago, in February, I got hired in an uprising blog & YouTube channel located in Los Angeles. So I moved here, and me being a 23 year old with social anxiety, didn't really know how to make friends. Fortunately for me, my coworkers are awesome and all pretty much my age so we got along well and became friends. For the story to be relevant I'm gonna have to tell you about them. We're all a 20 something young adults who are obsessed with Science Fiction and Superheroes so it's easy to guess that we're all incredibly single, not that there is any relation. First, we have Mels, a blond with blue eyes, fun and energetic, always trying to push me to be more outgoing and less reserved. Then we have Luke or as we like to call him Sky because he's the expert in everything Star Wars and the Skywalker Family, he's very wise, always have the best advice and has short brown curly hair, hazel eyes and average height. Finally, we have Mathew, our resident Marvel Comics Fan but Sky likes to call him Red one of Daredevil's nickname, Matt's favourite character from the Marvel Comics Universe. Red, who's quite tall and rocks a man bun & beard combo, is always dragging us to all kinds of events and parties, and even though we whine at first we always end up enjoying ourselves.

Moving to LA was the scariest most exciting thing I ever had to do. I come from a small town where nothing ever happens, so it was nice to finally get out. I like the dynamic of LA and adjusting to life here over the last 3 months was surprisingly easy. Quickly, I found my routine, weekdays at work, weekends at some kind of event or convention or even sightseeing. There was a lot to do in LA, and a lot to visit. But enough about the touristy and geeky blabber, you came here for a reason so let's jump to where things started to change. It was the first week of April and apparently, one day was not enough for April Fools. Red hacked his way into my computer, or more like, I was stupid enough to leave my laptop unlocked and unattended. I don't even know how he got there, but he found the fanfics I've been writing. I came into the room after getting myself some ice tea and they started teasing me.

'"You know, Harry? I thought you'd be taller. Everyone describes you as a big-handed giant but, honestly, I don't see it"' Sky starts reading.

'"Well, that's probably because you're taller than most girls, darling. Which I totally like about you, by the way!'" Red continues in the worst fake British accent you could ever hear.

I stand there, taking all the jokes in, not bothering with a reply while Sky continues reading mockingly, '"Thank you." I said quietly, feeling suddenly really warm, which meant I was probably blushing. I tried to hide it, covering my face a little by reaching for the hair tucked behind my right ear to release it. Suddenly, I felt Harry grab my arm before I got to it and leaned in and whispered in my ear "No need to hide love, you're beautiful". The butterflies, I haven't felt for years, suddenly woke up in my stomach. I lifted my face up looking at him, and for the first time today, I noticed his piercing green eyes, looking right into mine with the softest, most loving look ever. At this moment, I swear it was as if the whole world stopped existing and it was just me and Harry. After what seemed to be an eternity Niall snapped us out of our moment and asked what everyone is ordering.'

'Wow! That is so beautiful I'm about to cry!' Red mockingly sobs.

'Hey! She's a very talented writer so back off!' Mels defends.

'Hey don't get me wrong, even if this is probably one of the cheesiest things I've ever read, it's still kinda good. But Really? That guy?' Red askes me.

'Yeah, I mean out of all the people you could've written about, you picked Harry Styles?' Mels questions.

'Who even listen to One Direction anymore? They're lame!' Red sasses.

'Okay one! They are very underrated and talented, they have amazing music and their solo work is different and brilliant! Two, they're very nice, kind and inspiring people, and everyone should look up to them! Three, if it wasn't for them I would've become an alcoholic or something they saved so many lives and it's not something to be treated lightly or mocked about!'

'And the drama queen is awake again!' Sky shouts.

'Okay, wanna play it that way? Fine. Red, Spider-man is one of the stupidest superheroes I've ever seen. Sky, the Star Wars prequels are better than the original trilogy!'

Sky gasped strongly and yelled, 'You take that back RIGHT NOW!'

'See, it's not nice to insult the things you love most, especially when you have NO IDEA what you're talking about! They're so much more to them than meets the eye. Besides, you should be thankful for them. If it wasn't for Harry breaking my writer's block you wouldn't have found me and your lives would be miserable right now!' I rant.

'Fine, sorry... No more mocking. Mels, you've been pretty silent... Please don't tell me you're a fan too?' Sky asks.

'Yes, I am! And I say it proudly too!'

'HOLD ON!' Red shouts, 'I just realised that Slow Hands is a song by one of them! I love that song!'

'See!! That's exactly what I'm talking about! People are too busy judging them but if you listen to their music without knowing who you're listening to, you'll end up enjoying their music.' I comment.

'So Harry huh?' Mels asks me.

'Well, it was. But he's not really my type.'

'Really? Perfect is not your type? Have you seen him?' Sky suddenly says.

I look at him wide-eyed, trying to find an explanation.

'What? I watched Dunkirk!' He explains.

'Anyway... Yes, perfect is not my type! He's just impossible! How can one person be so much!'

'I don't know I personally prefer Liam! He's so hot and he has this high pitched voice like in Bedroom floor that I love! Who's your favourite then? And how come you wrote about Harry if he's not your favourite?'

'Well he used to be at first, you know the long curly hair, the dimple and cheeky attitude. And him being the inspiration behind all of those books, I was attached to him. But when it comes to who I love. I only see Niall.' I explain.

'You don't even know them personally! It's just a celebrity crush it's not love!' Sky corrects.

'You never loved anyone before, you don't know what it feels like. You can't say that!' I defend.

'You're right but still, you don't know him. How can you love someone you don't know? You only know what the cameras let you see.'

'That's not true! You don't see him like I do! He's very kind and caring. He's passionate about what he does. He's like regular people, likes sport and when he's not busy with work he's just chilling at home eating watching tv just like all of us. He's someone you can relate to and someone who's always there for the people he loves. Also he's funny and his laugh is literally the best sound on earth I've ever heard. Can we just let this go? You won't understand what I feel. So just drop this okay?'

'Fine, We'll drop it for now. We're not getting any work done, let's go for a coffee break?' Red suggests.

'I know just the place.' Sky adds.