Chapter 1

"Hurry up before you are late for work again, Maria." my Mom exclaimed as she rapidly smacked my door. I rolled my eyes. I slipped on my uniform and brushed my hair. I slapped some makeup on carelessly. I ran out of my room and headed to my car. "Finally." Mom said. "Bye!" I exclaimed with a smile with the window rolled down. Mom waved back and chuckled. 

I work at a bookstore with unbelievable structure. The manager there is a complete nerd with an obsession with books...hence, the opening of the store. It was the only job open in my town when I was searching to be hired. 

I pulled up to the parking lot. I entered the store, checking the clock and seeing that I was two minutes from being late. The manager was there already, of course. He had his name tag that read, "Hi, my name is Kevin Brown." He noticed me walking and handed me my name tag. It read, "Hi, my name is Maria Williams." Mr. Brown, which is what he prefers the employees to call him, gestured his hand tot he back of the store in the staff room. That's where I always go first since my job is to restock the books. I always pass by this piano that's in the room. It's all beat up and doesn't look like it works at all. However, I've always had this want to touch it. I guess it's just the feel of the building since it used to be a music studio. 

I pick up two boxes of donated books. I head out to the bookstore and there's already people here. There's two guys who looked awfully familiar. I started separating the books in the shelves. I was in the romance section. Being in that area always made me think of when I would find my true love.  I've been through several relationships, hoping each time that the loving embrace would last forever. Unfortunately, that hadn't happened yet. 

I continued organizing the books and fulfilled one of my favorite games at the book store. It's called, "eavesdropping". I peered over the shelf and I listened to the voices of the two men that were there. One had a soft voice with a light accent. The other had a strong tone and a hysterical laugh. "I'm sorry but I don't think we have what you are looking for." I heard Mr. Brown say. "Aha!" the strong voice laughed. "That's funny. I'm sure you've got it back there, darling. I know how you shops work." I chuckled behind the shelves. Mr. Brown looked over near the shelves and I quickly moved back down. I heard footsteps leading towards me. "Miss Maria...Williams." I heard a voice. I slowly looked up from the ball I put myself into. Mr. Brown is only a year older than me and I'm 23 and he treats me like I'm an actual child. Though I still do live with my parents, I'm not immature...am I? "Yes?" I asked inconspicuously. He gave me the look. He's also caught me multiple times being off task.. "One more time I catch you not doing your job...you're getting a warning." he said in a stern voice. "Warning for what?" I asked. He looked at me for a minute with that boss face. I then knew what he meant. It meant that he would have the idea of firing me if I screwed up again and that's the last thing I need. I nodded. "Yes, sir." I said. Mr. Brown turned around and headed back to where the men were but when he got there, they were gone. "Damn I forgot to get an autograph." I heard Mr. Brown say.