CHAPTER NINE

Boasting a red satin dress that hugged her figure flawlessly, Alexa walked alongside me with a demeanour of sophisticated queenliness

Boasting a red satin dress that hugged her figure flawlessly, Alexa walked alongside me with a demeanour of sophisticated queenliness. Much like every other imperfection, scar and blemish, she cared not for the skin desquamates on her chest and shoulders or the redness of her nose. Since landing on North Island, she's embraced the fresh look, scarce makeup and unruly hair, an irresistibly prepossessing image I favour most.

Just one look from my wife, and I fall in love all over again. It's all-consuming, the way she laughs, the twinkle in her eyes each time she smiles. I never knew how much I craved love until she happened. I consider life before us and see emptiness, loneliness and darkness, a place I never want to revisit.

She talks of Brutus again and, although I paid scarce attention to her repetitive jawing, I pretend to care because her thought process mattered.

"Perhaps Brutus prefers isolation." Alexa's murmurous carping commenced. "I can't say I blame him. I'd hate if someone poked and prodded me all the time, so there's that."

In the hope that Brutus, the island's oldest tortoise, may come out from hiding, I took my woman for a spin on the buggy last night. We uncovered numerous coves and romantic locations, various birds and reptiles, but Brutus' whereabouts remain a mystery.

I fixed white gold cufflinks to the sleeves of my suit jacket. "Don't give up." Intoxicated by the scent of her sweet perfume, I enveloped my arms around her, chin resting on her shoulder. "I'm sure he'll make an appearance soon."

"Yeah," she said with a defeated sigh. "Maybe."

Zack's villa came into view and depressing dread settled in the abysmal depths of my stomach. "Must we entertain the eccentric newlyweds? The definition of 'honeymoon'? Amatory togetherness. I cannot rationalise an environmental conference."

"It's a dinner date, Liam." Her head lolled on my chest. "Go in open-minded, and who knows? If you lower the defensive walls, you might enjoy their company."

"Can I not tempt you to a private dinner at our villa?" My lips ravished the column of her neck. I ache for her, but she's denied me twice today. "I'll do all the feasting, of course."

Disconnecting us, Alexa giggled. "I might take you up on that offer later," she said, her nose wrinkling. "Well, that's if I'm not too tired."

My eyebrow raised. "Was that yet another precipitous dismissal?"

Ignoring the question, she brushed dark hair out of her face and over one shoulder. "How do I look?"

Like a divine gift from God. "Is your goal to impress others?"

"I dress nicely for my benefit." Her eyes slithered into slits. "It's not about making a good impression."

"Your unparalleled attractiveness invites the uninvited scrutiny of others."