Ch. 42: The heartbreaker wants me back

Forty-Two

It's no surprised that when I finally regain consciousness, all I can see is white walls and smells of medicines. I look around the room that's only been occupied by me. I'm all alone, that is until I wanted to push myself up that I feel the weight on my right arm. I look to the side and spotted Jack's dark hair. He had his head down beside me, one of his hand holding on to my arm. I frowned. Has he been sleeping here? How long was I out?

The dryness of my throat catch my attention, I sit up and move as carefully as I could to reach for the glass of water on the bedside table. Jack stirred in his sleep and I froze. Maybe if I stop moving, he'll go back to sleep. I was wrong. Jack yawned rather loudly and sit up straighter, rubbing his eye. He look over at me and smile, obviously still sleepy. "What time is it?" He ask yawning again.

I look at him amused, I look over at the clock on the wall. "It's 9:40am." I answered slowly. He nodded and stretch his arm but froze mid-way. His eyes shot open and his head turn to mine so fast, his eyes widening. "You're awake!" He exclaimed, excitement in his voice. "Holy shit you're finally awake!"

He throw himself at me, but he is being gentle and careful wrapping his arms around my body. I laugh, "Couldn't get rid of me so easily." I told him and awkwardly pat his back cause he had locked my arm in his hug. "Okay you can let go now." I grunted trying to push him off of me. He finally let me go after a few more seconds of just holding me.

"So where's Louisa?" I asked him and get myself the glass of water with Jack's help to fill it. "How long was I out?"

Jack scratch his head, "Um she's back home. She went home earlier to freshen up. She should be on her way right now." He told me as he look down at his wrist watch, "As for how long you were out, I think it's about a week or so. You were hurting bad. Your appendix burst or I think that's what they said the other day I couldn't remember all I can hear is that you're hurt. The doctor is going to check on you again. He said there might be something wrong in your ovaries or something."

I scrunched up my nose, "What?" I couldn't understand what can be wrong with my ovary. My eyes widened, "What if it's STD? Or even worse, HIV?"

"I'm sure that's not it." Jack laughed shaking his head.

"I shouldn't have hook up with all those guys I didn't know! What was I thinking?" I exclaimed in horror, memories flashing back to the times when I had one day fling while I was away from home to complete a Mission. I gasped in horror. Jack look at me alarmed, "What? What's wrong? Are you okay? Should I call the doctor?" He rushed to my side looking all over me.

I look at him wide eyed, "I haven't had sex! I usually hook up after I'm done with a mission for a job well done!" I announced like that's the end of the world. Jack scowled at me and smack my thigh lightly, making sure he doesn't inflict any pain. I shot him a teasing smile and wiggle my brows, "Would you like to be on my hookup list?"

He rolled his eyes, "I rather be on your lifetime list. Thank you very much." He sat back down in his chair beside my bed and scoot a little closer to my bed, one hand holding on to mine. "I was scared Elaina." He look at me, any playful expression from earlier has gone and replace with real emotions. My eyes softened.

"I thought you were gonna die on me." He continued, "Your heart stop beating Elaina. It stop beating once and I thought we were too late. That I was too late to come to you. Your heart keep doing that scary shit where it just stop beating for two minutes and the doctors rushed in here so many times to bring you back. I'm still scared shitless."