Chapter 5: Tension

Esmee's POV

I left the study and went back to mom. I handed her the keyring back. "Thanks." I said and already made my way back to Lily and Emily outside.

"Esmee," Mom held my arm, preventing me to move further. "What's wrong?"

I gulped. "Bloodthirsty."

"What?" Mom exclaimed, a bit too loud. She looked around, checking out if anyone had heard her before looking back at me. "Please tell me you're joking."

"Why would I joke about that?"

Mom looked down, she looked heartbroken. "If she's really suffering from that," She gulped, nearly unable to say the following words out loud. "Then we'll have to put her down."

I slowly nodded.

"My God..." Mom looked away, covering her mouth. This wasn't the news she, or I, wanted to hear. Putting Catherine down... It'd break mom's heart, it'd break Lily's heart, it'd break Emily's heart...

I looked towards the back door, wondering about Lily and Emily. I then looked at mom. "Let's not tell Lily," I said but saw mom ready to protest. "Not yet."

"We shouldn't hide it from her," Mom gulped once more. "If Lilian had known about Vernon's condition, she could've been saved. We can still save Lily."

"We can still try to save Catherine, mom."

Mom looked down, covering her face. "What do we do?" She started sniffling. "I don't want her to turn," She looked at me, tears forming in her eyes. "She can't turn, Esmee."

"I know," I sighed. "I told her we'd work on it together, she agreed to cooperate with the treatment."

"Hey." Mom and I looked at our left. 

"Hey Lily," I smiled, trying to fake as if everything was alright. "What's up?"

"Well Emily's tired," She motioned to little Emily in her arms. "So I'm going to put her in bed." She then looked at me. "Have you talked to Catherine?"

Mom and I shared a look, before I looked at Lily. "She locked herself in the study, I think we should give her some time."

Lily didn't seem convinced but nodded. She left us and went upstairs.

I let out a breath, I didn't know I was holding in.

"She needs to know," Mom repeated. "What if Catherine turns when she's alone with Lily? Lily could die, Esmee!"

"Mom, quit shouting."

Mom looked down. "I just don't want to deal with yet another broken child, Esmee."

"I know," I put my hand on her shoulder, making her look at me. "And I'll deal with Catherine to prevent that. All you have to do, is trust me."

Mom slowly nodded.

"Good," I then looked at the study. "I'll wait for her there."

____________________________

Lily's POV

"I thought you were tired," I said as I looked at Emily. "Don't you want to sleep, honey?"

"Not tired." She simply said as she looked around. Lately, she's been observing everything around her, she was very curious.

I smiled at her.

Suddenly Marianne entered the room.

"Look who's there, honey."

Emily looked at Marianne. "Mari."

I chuckled at her name for Marianne. Ever since she could talk, she called Marianne 'Mari'. Obviously, Marianne didn't mind that.