Chapter 31: Danger from the past

Lily's POV

Vernon smiled at Emily. "She's an amazing kid."

I then smiled, feeling proud of my daughter. "Yes, she is." I then looked back at Emily, and smiled as I saw she was having the time of her life.

Vernon looked at me. "You remind me a lot of Lilian," He suddenly said, making me look at him. "You're acting and talking exactly like she would."

I smiled a bit and looked down, unsure what to reply to that. I didn't want to upset him or trigger something.

"I understand why Catherine loves you so much," He went on, again gaining my attention. "You really care a lot about her. And you're a great mother, just like Lilian."

I smiled. "I try my best."

"You don't have to try," He smiled reassuringly at me. "You're a natural."

Right then, Emily came running back to us. She had her hands up and was giggling all the while running back to us.

"Hey there," I pulled her up so she'd sit on my lap. "Are you enjoying yourself?"

Emily nodded. "You play?"

"I'd love to but not now, honey."

Emily nodded, seemingly understanding it.

"Why don't I get us some nice ice cream?" Vernon suggested.

"Yay!" Emily jumped up and down while clapping. "Want big!"

I smiled as I looked from her to Vernon. "Not too big for her, I believe she already got enough sugar in her body."

Vernon chuckled and nodded. "I'll be right back."

While Vernon left, we stayed seated on the bench. Emily was telling me about the playground and about everything she had discovered there. I listened and smiled, I couldn't help but wonder what life would be like when she's older. She's only 2 years old and she's already so mature...

Suddenly Emily stopped talking.

I looked at her and noticed she looked concentrated in a certain direction. When I followed her gaze, my heart seemed to stop for a moment.

I got a hold of Emily and got up, I start running towards Vernon. "Vernon!"

Vernon turned around and noticed me running towards him. "Lily, what's wrong?" He asked as I was near him.

I looked behind me and noticed the danger getting near, and I knew why they were here. "Please," I pushed Emily in his arms. "Run, as fast and as far away as you can."

"But what about  - "

"Please!" I looked around and noticed more soldiers appear at every corner of the park. They had surrounded us. "You're Emily's only hope."

Vernon nodded and hid Emily as best as he could. He then slowly walked off, as he was amazing at sneaking around. I guess it's a trait of his strong bloodline.

When they were out of sight, I turned around and gulped.

"Lily," Riley and Suzy stood right in front of me. "It's been a while."

I looked left and right and noticed soldiers surrounding us. We were literally in a circle of soldiers. Soldiers I knew all too well: the CAT.

"Where's the child?" Riley asked, she sounded much more determined than before.

"Not here, as you can see."

Riley and Suzy walked closer to me, both had their arms crossed and it made them look angrier for some reason.

"You're wasting your time."

Then they stopped: Riley in front of me, Suzy behind me. "We would've loved to kill both you and her, so Catherine's bloodline would cease to exist." Riley said, then she looked at Suzy.

"But at least we've got you." She said and, before I could answer, I felt a burning pain going from my lower back to my belly.

Next thing I knew, I fell. I tried sitting up a bit, to find the cause for the pain I was feeling, but I failed.

I heard them laugh proudly. Proud of their work, of them hurting me in some way. Suzy knelt. "We'll find your child and kill her, and then the end of Catherine's kind is finally here."

"Should we do it again?" Riley asked Suzy, motioning to me.

"Why not? We can't be too sure."

Riley nodded and proceeded to stab me once more, as did Suzy.

___________________________

Third person's POV

Vernon had left the park with Emily hidden underneath his jacket. They were safe, they were good to go, though, he couldn't stop but feel worried for Lily.

He stopped and looked back at the park. There he saw Lily being stabbed repeatedly by two vengeful girls and a group of CAT soldiers surrounding them. And he knew, at that moment, he would never talk to Lily again.

He hurried to get back to safety, he needed to save Emily and his bloodline, and his family...

He stopped when he arrived at the big house, the house he knew he wouldn't be allowed in. But he needed to tell them, he needed to inform them.

He walked to the entrance and was met by a young guy, a guard it seemed. The guy sat up, looking at him and then his eyes widened. "W-what are you doing here?"

Vernon gulped. "I need to speak with Catherine, it's very urgent."

The guy shook his head. "I cannot let you go through, sir, orders of the Superior."

"I know," Vernon sighed, realizing he'll need to break in. "But I have no choice." He then pushed the button that was inside the little post and rushed inside the domain. He ran to the front door and pressed the doorbell multiple times, hoping someone would open the door before the guard would catch him.

When the door opened, he pushed past the person and sighed.

"What are you doing here?!"

Vernon turned around and spotted Marianne. "Marianne, I need to talk to - " But before he could finish that line, Marianne had slapped him.

"Mom?" Esmee showed up as well, she too was shocked to see Vernon in their house. "What are you doing here?"

Vernon walked past them and walked to the living room, where he finally spotted Catherine. "Catherine," He said, gaining her attention immediately. "We have a problem."